Thread: what kind of water to put in foley

what kind of water to put in foley

Just out of sheer curioisty what kind.type of water should I be putting in my foley? Ive been using tap water for awhile but I dont know if thats correct. Also if my catheter were to get clogged what is the best way to unclog it without changing it?
    C5-6 - 22 years

1. Tap water is OK.

2. You can get teaching on how to irrigate your catheter but at your level of injury, I think it's better to just change it when it gets clogged. You could get a hefty case of autonomic dysreflexia otherwise.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by quartermile
    Just out of sheer curioisty what kind.type of water should I be putting in my foley? Ive been using tap water for awhile but I dont know if thats correct. Also if my catheter were to get clogged what is the best way to unclog it without changing it?
    I use to use sterile water which I bought from a medical store. But I have found that sodium chloride which is use for irrigation worked better for me.

If you are referring to what you put in the bulb, you can use tap water, but I would suggest you zap it for one minute in the microwave, then cool it down and then you can inject it into the bulb though the port on the side arm.

As far as irrigation is concerned, you could use sterile saline and use as much a sterile technique as you can. You would disconnect your extension tube, carefully capping it. Wipe the funnel of the catheter with alcohol. I would then take the syringe full to the suggested amount and inject the sterile saline slowly. If you do not, the sudden injection of a cool solution could cause you a real problem. You then reattach the extension tube so it can drain into the bag. Generally this can dislodge the obstruction. You can also "milk" your catheter, by rolling the tube, starting from the bottom, between your fingers. This can dislodge the obstruction, but as SCI nurse says, if you are prone to AD, I would just change it to a new one.

As you probably have heard till you are ready to punch the next person who says it, Drink, Drink, Drink! You need to keep the water flowing so that you are continually washing out your bladder by draining almost constantly. This helps to reduce the buildup of crystals, mucus or other "bladder junk". Its expressed as irrigating from above.
    Last edited by Tweetybird; 08-23-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

I used regular saline solution that you buy at the pharmacy to reinflate the baloon on my Foley when I had to wear one for 3 weeks after surgery. Most pharmacies will give you a needless syringe to do this with if you ask.

As for irrigating, my parents had to take me to the emergency room becuase nothing would drain from my Foley. The nurse just used a catheter-tip syringe and irrigated it with saline until the blockage broke up. After it broke up, the catheter drained liked it was suposed to for a couple days. We had to go back 4 days later because it did the same thing, only that time, they just changed the whole catheter rather than trying to break the blockage up.

Jessie