Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Passed out

Okey so I woke up this morning to go to work and when I was in the bathroom I managed to squeeze my hand on something.
    Allmost toke off 1/2" of flesh and it hurt so bad. I was sitting in my chair right beside the toilet when it happened and started feeling dizzy and sick and then I went dark. I woke up with my head in the toilett of all things and my shoulders on the rim. Must have fallen towards the toilet when I passed out.

Don't know how long I was gone, but I had to lay down after. I was cold sweating all over my body and it was going on for a couple of hours. Had to cancel work and still feeling a bit groggy hours after.

Is this related to SCI, because I have never experienced anything like this before and been hurt worse? I'm T3 incomplete and haven't had any blood pressure issues before. What do you guys thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Do you think that you passed out due to the injury to your hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Do you think that you passed out due to the injury to your hand?
    Don't know I'm asking you?
    Moe,

Paolo

Solan,
    I think it 's just from the shock of your injury. I gotta Uncle (AB) who is this way too ..doesn't matter if it's just a little cut or major injury...he will break out in a cold sweat, get weak and shiver all at the same time, then usually pass out on us. Sometimes if it's a minor injury he'll do all right and just go on with whatever he was doing, but that's not usually the "norm" for him.

Q
    Now his sister, my Mother, is the complete opposite. She'll clean it, apply
    pressure and try to bandage it herself and just to on... no sweating, or passing out....interesting....maybe the SCI-nurse will come up with something for you.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Yes I guess, but this is the first time this has happened and in my 29 years I have been injured a lot worse. There was no blood involved just the intense pain. Just don't get it

Also I'm to tough to pass out from small injuries. I'm more a, out in the woods choping down trees and killing bears type of guy

Quote Originally Posted by queen
    Solan,
    I think it 's just from the shock of your injury. I gotta Uncle (AB) who is this way too ..doesn't matter if it's just a little cut or major injury...he will break out in a cold sweat, get weak and shiver all at the same time, then usually pass out on us. Sometimes if it's a minor injury he'll do all right and just go on with whatever he was doing, but that's not usually the "norm" for him.

Q
    Now his sister, my Mother, is the complete opposite. She'll clean it, apply
    pressure and try to bandage it herself and just to on... no sweating, or passing out....interesting....maybe the SCI-nurse will come up with something for you.
    Moe,

Paolo

Hi Solan,

I think it was a combo of several factors. You mention you had just gotten up---blood pressure is lower at this time than other times of the day.
    You were getting ready for work. I'm guessing here that you may have been in a hurry. I'm not one to pass out either but if I'm rushing around trying to get ready and leave, I can get a little dizzy. I'm also guessing that you haven't had anything to eat or possibly drink yet that helps to stabilize your BP.
    Then you hurt your hand. I think all these things together caused the passing out episode.
    I would imagine that you hurt yourself worse when you hit the toilet which may have caused the sweating and grogginess that you're still feeling.

I highly doubt that it'd happen again.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Solan--sorry about what happened.I think that your hand injury made your body to go haywire.It may have been the sudden blood pressure change.Now don't leave the toilet seat up.Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by van damn; 08-24-2006 at 01:47 PM.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Thanks guys and that makes sense Shannon. Hopefully it wont happen again.

It has really been a crappy day... The gas wire on the hand controls of my car just broke in the middle of town. Had to get help getting the car home. Crap!
    I'm just gonna go to sleep and hope that all is fixed tomorrow
    Moe,

Paolo

It's no fun but it's nothing to worry about. It's not directly related to your SCI, your blood pressure just dropped really low. It's called "vasovagal" response. I'm glad you didn't injure yourself when you fainted.

RAB

Had it happen to me once, and only once. I cut my finger with a knife slicing a bagel. I've been hurt much worse before and after, but I had to sit down on the floor (I was at work), got all sweaty, etc. No huge blood loss or anything, just seemed to hit me wrong.
    BeeBee