Thread: Medicare question for the employed

Medicare question for the employed

I have a very basic, and silly, Medicare question. I've reviewed the Medicare site and CC posts but cannot find the info I need. My question:

Does someone who makes a substantial amount of money qualify for Medicare if they have been disabled for 2+ years and worked full-time for almost a decade?

I was injured 5 years ago in a car accident which paralzyed me from the waist down. The social worker at the hospital where I was admitted applied for disability and medicare for me. I had to wait 1 year to receive my disability checks and then I was automatically enrolled with Medicare. I had to choose which Medicare part I wanted to sign up for,either just Medicare A or both Medicare A & B... I choose A (hospital benefits) since I am still insured under my husbands insurance. I worked for over 25 years and had my own business the last two years prior to my accident. My husband use to own his own business and sold it just a few years ago and continues to work with the new owner, so we have a substantial amount of money. I was also 50 years of age at the time of my car accident.
    I hope this helps you

MJ Hopper
    MJ Hopper

Thanks, MJ. But I'm still lost. Here's my situation:

- 14 years post
    - employed full-time for the past 10 years
    - looking to be self-employed, therefore no group insurance plan but income would remain consistent
    - never been on SSDI or Medicare

Would I qualify for Medicare?

Medicare is not based on income, but it is based on EMPLOYMENT (if you are younger than 65 yo). Employment may be working for a company or being self-employed...it is still employment. If you are self-employed, be sure you are paying into Social Security so you are earning quarters and retirement benefits. If you are working, you are not eligible for Medicare prior to retirement age. If you are disabled (unable to work, or not working due to disability) and getting SSDI, then after 2 years you are eligible for signing up for Medicare.

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Your best bet is to call Medicare, you can ask the same questions,they can be very helpful, you can also request them to send you their information book.
    MJ

Originally posted by Clipper:

Thanks, MJ. But I'm still lost. Here's my situation:

- 14 years post
    - employed full-time for the past 10 years
    - looking to be self-employed, therefore no group insurance plan but income would remain consistent
    - never been on SSDI or Medicare

Would I qualify for Medicare?

"Does someone who makes a substantial amount of money qualify for Medicare if they have been disabled for 2+ years and worked full-time for almost a decade?"

to be under 65 and qualify for medicare you need to be on social security disability for 2 years. so...you need to be on ssd. if you're working, you probably won't be on ssd and therefore, the employer will be the one to insure. if you're working AND have deemed disabled by the govmt, then there's other criteria that come into play.

in addition to get ssd you must have contributed to the system thru payroll deductions for a minimum amt of time. it used to be 40 qtrs (10 yrs), i think it's a bit less now.

My suggestion would be to call an Independent Living Center near you. You can either looking the phone book or dial 411. If that does not help, you can call a Paralyzed Veterans Association near you. I do not know what area you live in. I live in New York so I would call the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association of America. They have some people there just for the purpose getting people with disabilities back to work. You do not have to be a veteran or even have a spinal cord injury. They try to help any one with a disability especially those who are trying to help themselves. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

www.EPVA.org

Dave H