Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electric scooters

electric scooters

does anyone use one..... if so what kind,and pros and cons of it. as i've been checkin them out on line but there are so many. im lookin for something that i can travel with... fairly light weight that comes apart to put in trunk of my car ..............any suggestions

Scooters have a larger turning radius than a wheelchair, so may not fit in as many places. If you cannot stand to transfer or walk a little bit, they are not nearly as easy to use as a wheelchair. In addition, there is really no way to bump one up over a curb in a place where there are no curb cuts (as in many foreign countries) or get up a step or two into a shop or museum where there are no ramps. When we go on cruises, we always recommend that those using a scooter or power chair take a manual chair for their shore excursions for this reason.

I noticed in your profile that you have a C5-6 injury. Do you have enough hand and arm use to control a scooter? You have to be able to sqeeze the power button all the time when moving, and it does require some strength to steer (esp. at a slow speed).

You can find a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of various scooters on the Disabled Cruiser discussion board at www.cruisecritic.com

(KLD)

KLD hate to tell you but that link is for a ship type crusie.

I do use a scooter, I am a T 12 incomplete I can't walk very far and it has really been a life saver. I have 2 old ones.
    I go on Medicare preety soon and wondered how easy is it to get a new scooter from them?

DLN-
    I have a Pride GoGo Ultra...don't use it as much as I used to, actually prefer using my chair more....HOWEVER, it it quite handy for things like theme parks. It is lightweight and breaks down into 4 small components. The heaviest weighing approx 35lbs. It loads easily into car trunks, back seats, the back seat of a small pickup(I've got a Dodge Dakota), pretty much anywhere you'd need to take it. They make both a 3-wheel and a 4-wheel model I"ve got the 3-wheel model and it CAN be quite tippy if you are a wild driver(like me) or drive on uneven surfaces a lot....It does NOT have very good ground clearance however, only about 1 1/2" so off-roading is not a strong point...It CAN be done, but it gets stuck somewhat easily in soft dirt/sand. I do like my scooter, but I really prefer using my chair...I keep in much better shape and am more comfortable overall sitting in it.

If you'd like more info on the GoGo, feel free to ask, I'll answer any questions I can.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Yes, of course it is Duge. Where else would you expect to find a discussion board for people with disabilities who like to cruise? If you can't negotiate that site and find the discussion board for disabled cruisers (many of whom use scooters), here is the direct link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

(KLD)

Brokenwing, I've been looking at the Pride GoGo Ultra, something I can take apart myself and still be able to lift it into the car.

Wondering....was this covered by your insurance? I know months ago
    when I was considering it seriously, I contacted my insurance carrier, he
    said "yes" if you have the model and your doctor authorizes. I like Duge will go on
    Medicare in a couple months and wonder if I shouldn't try to
    get one now on my individual BCBS insurance Policy or wait for Medicare
    to kick in. Anyone know any details on insurance coverage for these puppies?

Q
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Queen-
    I have no experience re:insurance and the scooter...I bought mine outright back when I had NO coverage of ANY kind...I do believe however that it is one of the models covered by Medicare under their scooter guidelines(either sportaid or spinlife show on their website what is on medicare's "approval" list...i don't remember which site tho)....HOW you get a scooter covered, I do not know, however...

The one thing I recommend about the GoGo, is to get the upgraded(premium/elite) seat...The standard seat that comes on it is HORRIBLY uncomfortable...I paid the $80ish for the upgrade and was UBER glad I did, there's no way I could have used the hard seat that is standard....I eventually swapped out the foam padding on the upgraded one(which wasn't bad) in it w/my spare RoHo cushion and made it even better(16x16 low profile fits perfect BTW).
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I have a scooter but I bought it myself. I am a T12.

I am pretty sure that Medicare rules are if you can ambulate outside of your house you will not qualify for a scooter payed for by M care.

I will check though and post again.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

OK I found a physicians guide to prescribing a power chair. These Criteria must be documented in your medical record before Medicare will cover a scooter. You physician can order the scooter but if your medical records dont show these criteria Medicare will not pay for the scooter.

I hope this helps. I ordered my own and have used it since 2003. I only use it for long distances like Chelle.....theme parks, campgrounds, etc, and places where people will run over me and knock me down.....LOL

My scooter is a pride.

http://www.pridemobility.com/physicianeducation/Physician_Medicare_Resource_Guide.pdf#search='Medi care%20coverage%20for%20scooter'
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Ok then does anybody know what the critera is for getting a chair? I've put it off but it would even help. I can go outside for a bit, but if I have to be up very long.......I'm done.