Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Transferring to Shower Chair

Problems Transferring to Shower Chair

Hello.

I am a C5/6 and for all my transfers I use a slide board. The problem is transferring to and from a shower chair.

Obviously I can't slide on the board naked as a) sheering would be nasty, and b) bare skin, especially when wet just does not slide. People have suggested putting a towel under by bum, but again after the shower this is wet and therefore wont slide (I cannot get a clean towel under my bum afterwards). Just getting the board under my wet bum in the first place would be a task!

So, how do people overcome this problem? What techniques are there you use for transferring to and from a shower chair when wet?

Regards,
    Andy.

--
    To reply to me via email, replace 'spambucket' with 'andy'.

We always recommend complete drying of yourself and your equipment in the tub or shower PRIOR to attempting a transfer. This makes it much easier to use a towel or pillow case on top of the slide board when transferring bare butt. You could also look at a slide board like the Beasey-Trans, but I have seen some serious scotum pinches when using this board bare butt too. Perhaps others can offer a better suggestion.

(KLD)

Thanks for the reply, KLD.

I hear what you're saying, however although I dry the rest of my body on the shower chair, drying my butt when I'm sat on it is a problem. Plus, I normally push the board between myself and the chair, rather than lift my butt up and put the board under, so anything on top of it such as a towel gets pushed to the side.

It's an awkward one, but I'm sure there is a way!

Andy.

--

I think it's pretty impressive that you are able to do independant board transfers @ your level. You da man!

As for shower chair transfers, I need a hoyer lift. The wet, naked skin just doesn't work with the board.

Originally posted by CowboyCrip:

I think it's pretty impressive that you are able to do independant board transfers @ your level. You da man!

As for shower chair transfers, I need a hoyer lift. The wet, naked skin just doesn't work with the board.
    especially onto a shower bench!!

WOW! Good job! I'd be kissing the tile!!

Andy, try using some powder with CORN STARCH in it. I've used regular powder and this is much better. Also, dry off very well and perhaps you can work a chux or blue pad under there some way. You don't want to keep shearing the skin on your butt...it would be like running it through a deli meat slicer!

Heh, it's not as impressive as it sounds.

First of all I do have assistance... I lean sideways a little whilst my helper pushes the board under my butt - from there I can transfer myself over the board. There's no lifting, it's more swinging my hips with the shoulders to shuffle across.

No shower bench either... I have a shower chair with large manual rear wheels. I transfer from the bed to shower chair and wheel into the shower. I shower staying in the chair and then wheel back to the bedroom and transfer back on to the bed to dress.

I do all my transfers the same way, bed to chair, chair to car, etc. but I always need help to put the board under my bum and hold it still while I scoot over.

Andy.

--

At rehab they told me to stick the sliding board in a pillow case for bare ass transfers.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

have you looked at Brad D's surehands lift thing?(see Life forum)

That might solve any problem!!

I am a C6/7 incomplete. I had the same problem on the wet skin transfer board. I bought a piece of white Teflon and had it cut and shaped like a regular slide board. It works great just slide across. I also put on a baggy pair of boxers to help. I do this all unassisted. Hope this helps