Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insights from "The Ice Storm".

Smile Insights from "The Ice Storm".

In The Ice Storm (1997), Toby Mauire has a narrative throughout devoted to The Fantastic Four and extending little truths from the series into speculations about life and death.

"In issue #141 of The Fantastic Four, published in December of 1973, Reed Richards has to use his antimatter weapon on his own son, who Anialis has turned into a human atom bomb."
    http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=26975&zoom=4

It was, a typical predicament for The Fantastic Four because they weren't like other superheros; they were more like a family. And the more power they had, the more harm they could do to each other without even knowing it.

That was the meaning of The Fantastic Four, that a family is like your own personal antimatter; your family is the void you emerge from and the place you return to when you die. And that's the paradox; the closer you're drawn back in, the deeper into the void you go.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 08-22-2006 at 09:07 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

2nd.

[quote=Juke_spin]In The Ice Storm (1997), Toby Mauire has a narrative throughout devoted to The Fantastic Four and extending little truths from the series into speculations about life and death.

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=26975&zoom=4

"To find yourself in the negative zone, as the fantastic four often do, means that all everyday assumptions are inverted. Even the Invisible Girl herself, becomes visible and so she loses the last semblence of her power.

It seems to me that everyone exists partially on a negative zone level, some people more than others. In your life it's kind of like you dip in and out of it; a place where things just don't work out the way they should.

But for some people there's something about the negative zone that tempts them...and they end up going in, going in, all the way."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I started collecting in 74 & missed that issue. The movie is good though.

3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I started collecting in 74 & missed that issue. The movie is good though.
    I think the movie is a minor masterpiece and these little faux reflections, so unpretentiously spoken by Paul Hood are a prime example of why this is so...but here's the last of the three narratilve breaks by Toby Maguire's character:

"When you think about it, it's not easy to keep from just wandering out of life. It's like someone's allways leaving the door open to the next world and if you aren't paying attention you could just walk through it...and then you've died.

That's why in your dreams it's like you're standing in that doorway, and the dying people and newborn people past you and brush up against you as they come in and out of the world during the night. You get spun around and in the morning it takes a while to find your way back into the world."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I wonder if this played a minor role in director Ang Lee getting the Hulk movie. I feel he had no clue when it came to the Hulk movie.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I wonder if this played a minor role in director Ang Lee getting the Hulk movie. I feel he had no clue when it came to the Hulk movie.
    Ain't that the truth. It's sad to see so much talent, time and $$ wasted on what turned out to be a rather unrewarding exercise in special effects. I particularly didn't enjoy seeing Jennifer Connolly's career, still relatively stagnant, suffering another plateau extension. She's thirty-seven now and needs/deserves a break if she's ever going to get to play in the first string.

SOW, it was nice to see Pam Grier, another star-that-never-was, getting some time onscreen in "The L Word". About which just one word: smokin.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 04-14-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Question

Just curious, Norm, but what brought this up for you, again? Did you do a search of your posts?
    J.B.S.Haldane

It made me smile to see you praise Pam Grier. She's rockin' middle age. Love her.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    It made me smile to see you praise Pam Grier. She's rockin' middle age. Love her.
    Much as I hate to burst your bubble and much as I love Pam Grier and her look at just five years younger than me, my one word was for the hotties of The L Word and their incessant smokin SP shenanigans.

Then again, if you meant my praise of her latent star potential, her talent, beauty and sex appeal through a long and virtually unrecognized career, well, spot on.

Life just ain't fair.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Just curious, Norm, but what brought this up for you, again? Did you do a search of your posts?
    I was thinking of where I was reading about that FF issue. Which I thought was at the Superhero Hype boards. So today when I was looking up my past threads I found this one again & remembered this is where I was talking about it.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis