Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Pony
    Thanks guys,

Mmm yeah thought so, have looked into my local TAFE [in Australia] to see if i can learn bout photo shop.

Now..... are track balls a reverse of mouse, ie ball on top? I've just always used a mouse, hard as they r.. lol.. crazy i know... well in my early days of computer use i think i did try a track ball, for some reason it wasnt suitable, but then again that was 14 years ago... Tell me, with the mouse you gotta hold button and move it, what do you hold fer track ball, anything?? I hope they have then in Australia, surely, lol.

Ciao Pony
    Heres sorta what I use,

You can set the buttons to do 1 of bout 50 commands. Mine are: Left and right click, Left click and drag, and Exit program.

So to click and hold, It's one button and then click to stop.
    Last edited by Patonb; 08-23-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    . . . The best thing you can do is get familiar with its environment. If you pursue it, give yourself some simple tasks & limit the tools you use. As time progresses, start working with some other features . . .
    Good advice. I've been using Photoshop since Version 2.5 (back in '94, I think) and I currently use CS2 (Version 9). I love Photoshop, and there are so many things you can do with it as well as so many different ways to do them.

Pony, you might also look into Corel Paint Shop pro which is said to be comparable to Photoshop but much less expensive (under $100 US).

I'm a C-6 quad, and I use a mouse, but I use it sideways. A trackball might be good, and I have a friend who is is C-4 who uses a trackball very well. I also have a Wacom tablet that I keep telling myself I need to use more so I can get proficient with it. If you have full use of your hands, I'd definitely recomend a Wacom tablet instead of a trackball.

You might also look into Adobe Illustrator for more precise drawing capabilities. You can use the Wacom tablet with Illustrator as well.

I use Illustrator and Photoshop daily, though for my comicbook lettering I mainly use Illustrator.

Wow you guys are so helpful, thank you so much! Useful info that I can follow up cool. Like the free tutorials, very cool.

Cored Draw was it, was the other huge drawing program I tried years ago that nearly sent me MAD... But yes limiting tasks and tools is a good idea, otherwise its way overwhelming.

Ohhhh so thats a track ball.... I think I'd definately have to try before I bought one.

The Wacom tablet was what i had looked into in the past on the net, but without being able to try one in the shops I was weary. I have shoulder use and upper arm, so I hold a pen with both hands to draw or write or type or basically do anything but i get tired my shoulders get tired from suspending then midair when using the computer. I thought the Wacom tablet would be useful for more precise drawing, fine line, as the mouse can be clumsy eh!?

Adobe, mmm yes have heard of it, now are there different versions illustrator others or is it all one.. holding my head, woo weee so many programs!

Many thanks again

Cheers Pony

the wacom tablets are flat out awesome, but i have problems using them b/c i don't have the fine motor control in my hands & the pens are pressure-sensitive. like scorpion, i just use a mouse... and oddly enough i use mine sideways too.

there's only one version of illustrator, no matter what it's packaged with. you do understand the HUGE difference between illustrator & photoshop, right? adobe is just the company behind them.

Pony-what platform, Mac or PC

What platform are you using Mac or PC? If you've got a Mac maybe I can help you out. Photoshop is far out, you'll love it. Let me know and I'll send off a care package.{wink, wink}.

Steve

To Scott about illustrator and photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    the wacom tablets are flat out awesome, but i have problems using them b/c i don't have the fine motor control in my hands & the pens are pressure-sensitive. like scorpion, i just use a mouse... and oddly enough i use mine sideways too.

there's only one version of illustrator, no matter what it's packaged with. you do understand the HUGE difference between illustrator & photoshop, right? adobe is just the company behind them.
    Scott,

Hmm yes well the maintaining of preassure is tricky.... went to local computer shop today to research info given here.... sheesh they didn't have track balls, they did however have pen and tablets.... were expensive, but its a possibility to keep up my sleeve.

Unfortunately they didn't have cany of the programs there we have been talking about. All they had were basic photo editing programs, not what i want. i want to create, draw...

Oh my... now I feel really dumb..... no it seems i do not know the difference... blushing.

Pony

Steve, re platform

Quote Originally Posted by numb1
    What platform are you using Mac or PC? If you've got a Mac maybe I can help you out. Photoshop is far out, you'll love it. Let me know and I'll send off a care package.{wink, wink}.

Steve
    Steve, am using PC......

Quote Originally Posted by Pony
    Oh my... now I feel really dumb..... no it seems i do not know the difference... blushing.
    Don't feel dumb, Pony. We were all newbies once. I was about to type out an explanation, but then decided to Google it instead to save myself some time and maybe give you more info. Here are the basics...

Adobe Photoshop
    Photosop is a "bitmap" image processing and manipulation program. It's ideally suited for creating, modifying and outputting digital images of a photographic nature, which share a common fundamental structure: pixels in a bitmap. Simplified, but primary operations would be:

• Access / acquisition of digital graphics photographic in nature

• Add, subtract, modify, colorize, pixels in the images

• Produce digital files where the whole image is part of a "fixed" pixel structure (the "bitmap")

• Prepare complicated color/BW images for further processing in page layout programs for high resolution printing

Fundamental difference: Photoshop manipulates individual color pixels within a fixed bitmap

Adobe Illustrator
    Illustrator is a vector-based postscript drawing program. It functions by generating curved paths (Bezier curves) connected by modifiable anchor points. These anchors, with their handles are ultimately editable, and never "leave" the structure of the file.

A vector based drawing program creates the various elements of the image as individual vector objects which retain their characteristics and do not become part of a "bitmap".

Fundamental difference: Illustrator generates "vector objects" which are not part of a "bitmap"
    More info: Photoshop Tips & Tricks

yeah, what scorpion said - it's all good pony, you gotta start somewhere

I love photoshop... and learned the basics and much more from the video tutorials on www.lynda.com it's only $25 a month and well worth it.