Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica for nerve pain

I have been taking lyrica as well as vicadin, neither give me weird side effects, but now the nerve pain gets so intense, it just makes if bareable to go to work. Lyrica worked better than neuratin for me but I have been lucky for none of the drugs gave me bad side effects. I tried ditching all my drugs but slipped on the ice and fractured my knee so all my hard work bareing the come down off the drugs was for naught. I went back on vicadin and lyrica till they find what is causing the pain. Hoping it is a narrowed artery so they can put a stint in it and free the flow maybe decreasing the pain. Here's to hopin
    Beachboy

Hi I got put on lyrica which was ok at first. It did help the pain but then they increased it. It made me not want to be here, serious thoughts in my head, also my vision became very blurred. Since coming off it my eye sight is normal again and I am much better in my head. Take neurontin and oxycontin now, but still in pain and the burning sensation gets alot worse in damp or wet weather, don't know why, but does anyone else find they get worse pain when its wet.

lyrica treats me A-OK. keeps the nerve pain bearable. neurontin put me in a haze for a year. super glad to get off of it. i tried to ease off neurontin & on to Lyrica but i sorta freaked and had to hide in the bedroom with all the lights off {isn't SCI interesting?} but the next day i was OK. just went cold turkey on the N. i work all day on lyrica. i get nerve pain bad allot, but i just zone it out. spasms, on the other hand are my curse........Steve.

Steve - how much Lyrica do you have to take to keep the nerve pain at bay? I took 150mg twice a day for a long time but recently and 'ever hopeful' wondered if I could get along with less. My rational was that I didn't want to be near the maximum dosage in case the neuropathic pain worsened and I would have no room to increase my dose. So I am trying out 75mg twice a day. I don't think I feel any less side effects. It doesn't eliminate the pain and my ass is basically always burning and on fire. Stretching my hamstrings and adductors or anything connected to my pelvis seems to worsen it temporarily.
    My rough time is when I lay down and shut the lights off to go to sleep - I feel like it is just the two of us lying there, I don't mean me and my wife. I mean it is me and the burning. I will curse, take an Ambien, and wait to be taken by it.
    Next day - it is like groundhogs day and it all begins again.
    But Lyrica has been a god send for me and makes this liveable. Before I started the new dosing of 75 twice a day, I went 4 days without it (after tapering down) and it was not good. There were moments that the burning was not there, but then it would really get going and I couldn't take it.
    Thanks , Pfizer , for coming up with this molecule.
    jon

tommys65
    c5-6...i've been taking lyrica for 2yrs., was as high as 300 twice a day, helped w/ the neuro-pathetic pain, side affects were eye twitch lol, blurred vision, dry mouth. soreness in shoulders, neck... i reduced it to 75 x 2, and that took care of soreness/aching, vision.

crap, 20 yrs., w broken neck, some neck pain is to be expected at 42, but definitly worse on high dose 300x2...reducing to 75x2, like previous poster said, the side affects , like blurred vision hit like clock work, but subside w/in an hr or so... solution, take it as early as possible b4 having to see str8, 3-4-5 am, lol, like now...
    + the relief doesn't come for a few hrs., after i take it, if i take it now, and go to sleep by 8-9am the side affects are gone, and reliefs kickin' in... i keep gum handy for dry mouth upon waking.

i wouldn't just stop taking it cold turkey, just reduce dosage by taking it at longer intervals, ie., from every 8 hrs to 12, to 18, to 1nce a day then quit, i've worked off it severel times to see wtf, concluded that it helps way more then nuerontin, or any narcotic ever did/never did...

being doped up and in pain is worse then being in pain alone... in other words taking a bunch of pain killers is just a bad habit, and none have ever helped me w/ pain, i've tried em all in 20 yrs.,

it has been the only drug, that has helped me in 20 yrs.,

best thing is socialization, but it's hard to wanna do anything when pain rules your life...

lyrica takes the pain down from a 30 to a 20, on a 1-10 scale, so it by no means is a cure, it is addictive, so i also conclude, just try it, work up to max 300x2, then down to 150 x2, quickly, lol, that's relative, time flys... say over a 2-3 month period, if it helps take as little as possible, if not, trash it...

gl to all and God Bless...

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Steve - how much Lyrica do you have to take to keep the nerve pain at bay?
    jon
    jon, 100mg x3. i still have burning, but with me it's my right foot. worst when i get up & get vertical in the morning. elevating them makes them pink & happy insted of purple & burning. i still have pretty good amounts of pain, but i can work through it if i concentrate on a task. Steve.

so true

being doped up and in pain is worse then being in pain alone... [/QUOTE]

I arrived at the same conclusion a few months ago; need all my wits to keep the pain at bay. I only take lyrica 3 X 200mg with health doses of distraction. Some days I still lose horribly. I'm C6/7 with the pain in my hands - still stubborn enough to push.
    Last edited by Jim; 04-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.

my two cents...a year ago i woke up with most terrible pain on right side..called ambulance,to E.R..
    they diagnosed bacterial pneumonea,the pain settled in my pinky on laft hand.unberable pain.
    had m.r.i..dr.said injured ulner nerve.still in pain..
    so he put me on Lyrica 75/twice daily.
    truly a miracle ..within two hours the pain was gone.
    i was on that dosage for four months.decided to quit,weaned myself off no side effects.i.am pain free.i stll have numbness in pinky and ring finger,a year and a half later.
    i am also taking glusomine sulfate 500 mgls twice daily and tumeric carcumin once daily.

wishing peace happines love and good health to all...

Just a thought...

I can't take any of the nerve meds because I am hypersensitive to them; side effects never go away or at least I never adjust to them let alone being a zombie. SSRI's? Can't take them either.

Sooo...the other day my Neurologist gave me samples of Metanx; a super hyped "B" Vitamin (prescription only). I have only taken 1 pill for the last 3 days and it has definitely decreased the burning in my feet (small fiber PN). I don't think it should work this fast but I am seeing some relief. And it is odd because my B12 levels were fine so I am a bit confused. But it seems, so far, to be making a difference.

My neuorsurgeon has had me taking 2 - 100mg of B6 since the surgery in 2006, suppose to be good for your nerves.

I tried Lyrica, 150mg 2x's a day, it messed up my eye sight and my feet and legs would swell up way worse than normal. I went back to the cheaper gabapentin 600mg 4x's a day. Works better, but I have had some of the weight issues, I've been on it over two years and have gained about 25 pounds.

I still had quite a bit of pain, so family doctor sent me to a neurologist, he has added cymbalta and tramadol. This is the second week and so far it seems to be helping.