Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy questions

Pregnancy questions

I'm a C5 quad who is planning on trying to get pregnant in the next month or two and have a few questions for those of you who have went through this before. I searched the archives, but didn't find answers to a couple of my questions.
    1) For those of you who are quad's (or even para's) who can not transfer yourself and use Hoyer lifts, how do you manage being examined at the OB/GYN with their high tables, especially in the last trimester? Was your doctor able to examine you in your chair if you have a power chair that tilt/reclines? I have a power chair that does both and will also rise up to and elevating position. I usually am able to get my gynecological exams in my chair, but am wondering how it will work when I'm pregnant and bigger. And I think it would be extremely hard to transfer me with help, not very safe I mean, on to the examining table. Also, for those of you who use Hoyer lifts, was it uncomfortable in the sling as you got bigger?
    2) Anyone on this site who is a quad who has given birth to twins?
    3) For those of you who are quads and do not have any hand (and in my case no wrist) function, other than having help from someone else, is there adaptable equipment out there to help hold and care for the baby some ourselves?

Thanks so much in advance for any help/advice you can give me!
    CJ

Question Hi Sunny

You live in my neck of the woods Just curious why you don't adopt?
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird
    Just curious why you don't adopt?
    Just curious, why would you ask this? Do you ask AB women this who wish to parent? Strikes me as a very odd question - because she would like her own child, obviously

Because the world is so overly populated

and there are a lot of abused and abandoned children in the world. ? is harmless.

My wife is AB. She posted the thread and I asked a question. If your offended I don't really care.
    Last edited by FreeBird; 08-20-2006 at 04:58 PM.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Hi Sunny,

I'm about ready to have my baby any minute - I'm c6, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I don't use a lift. My hubby used to just toss me in & out of bed (i weighed maybe 115) and he's a big guy. 40 or so lbs later, and it's getting rougher on his joints so it's good we'll be done soon.

For ob appointments, getting weighed was the biggest issue. Hubby would hold me and stand on the scale. then we'd subtract his weight. We stopped getting weighed 2 months ago.
    For exams - you don't get many internals till the end. Hubby transfers me onto the table, cuz he's big & strong. 2 people could probably do it easily. With a recline/tilt chair, that'd probably work, especially if that's how you do exams now. they're not really any different.

regarding equipment, I'm not there yet, but we've been working hard at modifying everything we can, and searching for workable items so I can do as much as possible. i can probably tell you more later. I've also seen lots of modified baby stuff here & there. Conact Through the Looking Glass, located in Berkeley. (I live in the North Bay)

Good luck
    Last edited by alissa; 08-20-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I'm sorry I can't give an answer to any of your questions. But good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird
    You live in my neck of the woods Just curious why you don't adopt?
    Yes you live very close to me! Do you have a SCI (quad or para)?

I would like to adopt also actually. But I really want to have my own child and experience pregnancy once. Then I would like to do foster/adopt in a few years. I am a marriage and family therapist Intern and see many kids who need great homes, so I would definitely like to provide that for a child. I also want to have my own child with my own genetics and as I said experience pregnancy. Do you have kids and did you adopt?

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ads32
    Just curious, why would you ask this? Do you ask AB women this who wish to parent? Strikes me as a very odd question - because she would like her own child, obviously
    Thanks for responding for me! :-) Yes that's exactly how I feel when someone asks why I don't adopt (he's not the first). I don't understand why people assume because you are disabled that you don't have a right to have a baby just like an AB woman. As I've already posted to his response, I would like to do both, have my own child to experience pregnancy and pass on my own genetics and also to adopt to give a child who needs a good home, a good home!

CJ

I am an "AB" woman who adopted. So if you adopted you would be having a baby just like this "AB" woman.
    - Moody

I have no helpful information to give, but a couple questions. By the way I'm a C-5 quadriplegic and my wife and I adopted a beautiful baby girl from China a little over a year ago.

Is there a significant amount of risk factors for the quadriplegic mother going through the pregnancy? I would think there would be especially with autonomic dysreflexia. Before we adopted, my wife and I went to a fertility doctor and I was surprised to learn that a woman only has about a 48-hour window in the month to conceive and that doctors normally don't do much unless you have been trying for almost a year without a pregnancy. It's amazing pregnancy seems so easy for some people! Are you going the in vitro route or the usual method? I don't mean to sound nosy, just curious since you said you are trying within the next month or two. And please don't think I'm trying to send any negative thoughts your way by the sounds of this paragraph. Having kids are a blessing no matter how they come! Good luck to you and your husband.
    Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 09-09-2006 at 01:26 PM.