Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnancy questions

Doingtime, yes there is some increased risk for the mother during pregnancy if she has a SCI. The SCI increases the risks that already exist for any mother for UTI, constipation and DVT. In addition, some women with SCI are more at risk for pressure ulcers during pregnancy (esp. during the last trimester) and AD is a risk, esp. during labor.

While that may be the case, working with a good OB/Gyn who can more closely monitor the woman with SCI, and intervene quickly if such problems are detected, most women with SCI can have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. There is not a higher rate of birth defects or prematurity in women with SCI who have babies.

AD during labor can generally be handled with an epidural, just as pain can be managed in an AB woman in labor.

(KLD)

I am a low para, but my DH came to all appoinments with me in order to help me on the exam table.

Can't help you with the other questions.
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Pregnancy and SCI

I'm a c6/7 quadriplegic since 1993, mother of a very active 3 year old son. Hopefully my reply is not too late.

1) transfers: Was your doctor able to examine you in your chair?

I had a great high-risk OB and he did all the monitoring of my pregnancy externally. Ultrasounds, fetal heart monitoring, fetal stress tests, and all those were done with me in my power wheelchair, sometimes reclined, other times not. He did not do pelvic internal exams. For getting into bed or hospital bed for delivery,it was the 2-person lift, with one nurse/doc behind me lifting under arms, the other nurse lifting my knees to hoist me onto the bed. My husband did a lot of my transfers late in my pregnancy and after my c-section. (I highly recommend c-section delivery, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HEALING TIME, THE HORMONES OF PREGNANY WILL HAVE YOU HEALING FASTER THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!)

2) Anyone on this site who is a quad who has given birth to twins?-not me, but a friend of mine did. vaginal birth, induced. 5 hour labor, home in 3 days.

3) is there adaptable equipment out there to help hold and care for the baby some ourselves?--not much equipment, I made my own for the most part. Also needed to find and accept more help. A teenager 'mothers helper' person can be a great asset to parenting from a wheelchair especially in the first year or until the child can climb onto your lap. After that it's all easier. Even if money is tight, you will still need to find/borrow some to get thru the first months, paying for extra help. Church groups are very helpful, my friend with twins had church girls coming to help 5 days a week after school.

An aside: my health took a downward cycle during pregnancy and for 2 years afterwards. But motherhood is especially wonderful and I encourage you to follow your dream and try. Just be prepared to feel lousy and tired much more than AB parents. Plan for extra help, and extra time resting. Fertile wishes!!!

C5 with 2 boys

Hi Sunny,

I'm guessing I'm kind of late with my reply, but I have gone through 2 pregnancies (I'm a C5 complete). My sons are now 6 and almost 3.

My husband came to all of my OB appointments and lifted me onto the table. He also helped hold my legs, etc. I'll tell you, getting undressed and dressed on those teeny tables from 5 months pg is no easy feat!

Pregnancies were difficult because of chronic utis, and both times I ended up with pic line antibiotics for most of the time. My first delivery was vaginal, the second c-section. In both cases an epidural was used to guard against AD.

For adaptions for helping with baby, everybody is different. I used a pillow propped under my left arm to hold them, and a bent necked bottle with a modified universal cup to feed them. I used a thick blanket on the kitchen table for playtime (until they were rolling), and a bouncy chair on a table made to be a height convenient for me and them to interact. It all works out!

If you'd like to e-mail or chat through messages I'd be happy to correspond!

Lynneeeee

Sunny, I know how you feel. I am 35, not married, divorced infact. I came across this site on google looking for information on sperm donor. I wish you the best of luck in your journey to be a mom. I have been asked the why not adopt question also and not against it at all, my brother is adopted, but would love the chance to go through the experience of being pregnant!! If I can't do it, then adoption is a choice of course. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in these feelings and needs. Some people just don't understand why a single successful woman would want to do this. But there are a lot of "us" out there that are in the same boat!! I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you reach your dreams soon.

Update

Thanks everyone for responding to my post on pregnancy., especially to the most recent posts since I have not responded to them in a while. I wanted to update those who were kind enough to reply to my post. Back in September I used a sperm donor and was inseminated, but did not get pregnant. After not being successful, I decided not to try and get pregnant through insemination again and have instead decided to adopt. The biggest reason I decided not to try and get pregnant again was because I have severe chronic (nerve) pain and I decided I was afraid that I would feel worse. I was too afraid of the unknown. I also did not want to put out the additional money for the insemination process without a guarantee I would get pregnant. I am single and live with my mom, who is also my caretaker (along with my aunt who helps me as well) and me and her are in the process of going through our local social services agency and trying to become foster/adopt parents of a baby girl. We have been going through the long process since November and are almost finished and are almost ready to be what is called foster care placement ready. Then we will be eligible to adopt a baby (if we are lucky enough to get a newborn). It has been a roller coaster of emotions and I have also been grieving at the same time for the decision not to have my own biological child, something I always thought I would do. I am very excited and anxious about adopting a baby, especially through this process where there is a chance you can lose the baby back to its biological parents after you have bonded with the baby and expect it to be your child.

So many of your responses about adaptive equipment and caring for the baby still apply and helped a lot. I'm still wondering how it will all work out, but am fortunate to have a great mom who is very eager to be a grandma and will be my hands for me.

For all of you who have either had your own children or adopted and could not fully take care of your child yourself, in other words, had to rely on caregivers or family members to help care for your baby for you, was it frustrating at all? Do you feel like you bonded to your baby just the same without being able to do all of her/his physical care?

Thanks again and any more advice (and prayers) will be much appreciated!
    Corie