Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: legal advise needed

Banned

legal advise needed

I was in an acident in april 2006.A driver whiped a u turn in front of me while I was ridding a motorcycle.I now have sci and I think the level is at9 I only had minimum insurance and so did the driver that caused the accident,My question is my attorney said that medical may put a lien on any settlement I may get for up to 50%.Is this true ,and has anyone had this happen,or anythig simular?Im a single parent and I need to get as much cash as I can until I retrain and get back on my feet agin.Im scared ..............

Thanks for any info!!

Ben
    FUCK YOU LEFT WING CRIPPLED ASSHOLES!!!

hey Ben, glad to see you found your way over here.

I don't have any solid advice myself, but some of the others here may be able to help... just make sure your lawyer knows his stuff. Here's hoping for the best.

There's nothing wrong with asking other lawyers for free advice. I would definitely be asking around just to make sure.

sounds true, it you get a seettlement the people that paid the medical bills usually want reimbursement
    cauda equina

Yes, it is true. It is called subrogation and this happened to my husband with his accident. We were hit by a teenager that fell asleep on the highway. My husband is a high level quad. His medical bills were unbelievable. His medical insurance paid the bills, but they had subrogation rights on the settlement that we received from the other driver. I'm not sure about the 50%. I know that they can not take your entire settlement. Our attorney did a major negotiation with my husband's medical insurer and they settled on only taking 1% of our settlement. After we got our settlement, I was given specific instructions on how to send in the subrogation amount. I did that and was then sent a letter stating that the subrogation lein had been satisfied and discharged. I think that if you read your summary plan description from your medical carrier you will see that they have this right. Perhaps your attorney can negotiate with them to take the lowest amount possible. Good Luck.

Trish

Make sure other people affected by the accident, majorly spouse and children, join in the lawsuit for loss of consortium. This way a portion of the settlement is for them and not affected by the lien. The portion for pain and suffering likewise should be for you. Have your lawyer negotiate the medical bills portion well.

Banned
    Well ok man Im glad I found this site! Im just going to plan for the worse and hope for the best!

Thanks all!

socalnut, here's a thread from a few feeks ago that might help..

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=lawsuit

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Banned
    Now Im even more confused after reading that link to the other post.Mine is not a workers comp case ,so I dont know how much of the info on the other post pertains to my case?Im just going to leave this case in gods hands and pray my atty knows what hes doing.If I can just get another buisness going soon Ill be fine,I hate depending on other people!

workers comp is totally different from this,
    cauda equina