Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: seeking atheists and agnostics with SCI

seeking atheists and agnostics with SCI

...to participate in a semi-structed e-mail interview (10 questions) for the purpose of a qualitative study to explore the experiences of nonbelievers with SCI.

write me back with your email addy if you would like to participate. i am hoping for about 10-15 respondents.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Atheist. Be happy to participate. Send me a message.
    Last edited by Shannon; 08-20-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Cool Who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by starlightangel
    ...to participate in a semi-structed e-mail interview (10 questions) for the purpose of a qualitative study to explore the experiences of nonbelievers with SCI.

write me back with your email addy if you would like to participate. i am hoping for about 10-15 respondents.
    Firstly, we're not "nonbelievers". All the so called "believers" reject evolutionary and geologic history (and "time") and are the nonbelievers.

Secondly, before I consent to take part in this study, who are you? You've got a very sketchy PP and I'd want to know a lot more about who's conducting the interview or structuring and evaluating the q&a before I'll take part.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Firstly, we're not "nonbelievers". All the so called "believers" reject evolutionary and geologic history (and "time") and are the nonbelievers.

Secondly, before I consent to take part in this study, who are you? You've got a very sketchy PP and I'd want to know a lot more about who's conducting the interview or structuring and evaluating the q&a before I'll take part.
    I assumed the original poster of this thread meant non-believing in God and how that affects your perceptions of life with a severe disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    I assumed the original poster of this thread meant non-believing in God and how that affects your perceptions of life with a severe disability.
    You too.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    ... who are you? You've got a very sketchy PP and I'd want to know a lot more about who's conducting the interview or structuring and evaluating the q&a before I'll take part.
    sure thing. i'm actually a postdoctoral researcher in nj (ed.d in 2005 from rutgers u) but this particular study is an independent project and not affiliated with any institution. i do plan to submit it for publication tho.

the point of my research (hopefully) is that while there has been a recent upsurge of interest in the topic of religion/spirituality in chronic illness and disability, the specific experiences of self-identified nontheists (is that a better term than "nonbelievers"?) have been largely neglected. most research on this topic has sought to establish a positive relationship between religion/spirituality and various outcomes of physical and psychological well-being. this has often led to the bias that nontheists are by comparison significantly less happy or healthy.

my specific objective/hypothesis will be (hopefully again) to dispell the assumption that committed nontheists are any less happy than committed theists, to show that nontheists draw strength and inspiration from sources other than a "higher power", and to see if there are any common themes to the experiences of nontheists coping with SCI.

i'm conducting qualitative interviews because: a) this research is highly exploratory; and b) it would probably take me forever to collect a large enough sample for a quantitative study.

direct responses may be quoted, but only anonymously or pseudonymously. you don't need to give me your real name to participate. all data will of course be strictly confidential.

if you want, i'll e-mail a formal lit review, once i've got the thing written...

ps. for those who don't know me, i'm usually more of a "presence" on New Mobility. that, and i'm sure the people who have actually seen me in person (wise, duramater, jeff, mary, scorpion...) can vouch for my character.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

i'm in ......but i'm not gonna post my e-mail that any non member can troll thru and spam......e-mail me thru profile

I'll be glad to help, but like justadildo above me, e-mail me thru my profile.
    Josh, C6 incomplete
    I'm not sad, I'm complicated. Chicks dig that.

Smile

thanks.

that's why i haven't posted mine.

will get back to you in a couple of days.

I am in. Same rules apply for me as for joshrai and justadildo.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>