Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rochester Wide Band Condom Catheter

Wear Times

SCI-Nurse (KLD),
    Above you mentioned studies on the length of time a condom catheter can be worn. Can you cite these studies?

A 2005 NAFC publication states:
    "Wearing time will vary, but you should expect to wear
    one condom catheter for at least 24 hours and up
    to 72 hours."

http://nafc.org/uploads///pdf/Male%2...new%20temp.pdf

Thanks, Rich

I would have to search for the studies again, but the one I remember cited a 2X risk of UTI when worn more than 24 hours. In addition, if you are not changing your external condom catheter at least every 24 hours, how are you inspecting your penis skin for possible breakdown? Odor will also be a bigger problem.

(KLD)

Wear Times

Point taken concerning skin breakdown and odor. The application in not one dealing with incontinence.

In a search of PubMed I turned up these papers that may apply:

The first is the only one for which abstract mentions condom change frequency.

Epidemiology and risk factors for urinary tract infection following spinal cord injury.
    Waites KB, Canupp KC, DeVivo MJ.
    Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993 Jul;74(7):691-5.

External catheter use and urinary tract infections among incontinent male nursing home patients.
    Ouslander JG, Greengold B, Chen S.
    J Am Geriatr Soc. 1987 Dec;35(12):1063-70.

If you can find the your source articles it would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

I've had good luck with the freedom clear advantage. They have aloe vera so it is a little easier on the skin, they seem to work good for me. No skin irritiation.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

condom change frequency and UTI incidence

Still in search of the citations for condom change frequency and UTI incidence you had mentioned.

Recently came across this:

Zimakoff J, Stickler DJ, Pontoppidan B, Larsen SO. (1996). Badder management and urinary tract infections in Danish hospitals, nursing homes, and home care: a national prevalence study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996 Apr;17(4):215-21

Which confirms the previously cited Waites et al (1993) which showed that that less-than daily male external catheter replacement correlates with an increased risk for UTI.

Uni-solve works for me. It comes in a bottle and you can apply quite a lot more than wipes.

I work in a trauma hospital (many SCI) and our policy is also to change a condom cath every 24 hours. I'll do some digging to see if I can find the evidence to support this.