Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you design a place to live??

I have no problem with the Nurses using the whole house. I think it would be nice for them & me if they had their own private area near my bedroom. A place where they feel comfortable & not in the way. I have noticed when we have people from out of town sleep over the nurses don't know where to go to get out of the way. Especially if I'm still sleeping. I know if I were a caregiver I would want a room with its own outside entrance were I could sit until needed. The rest of the house wouldn't even see me until I'm called into the patients room. But if the room was next door to the patients room with an entrance between the two then the rest of the house wouldn't see me until I need to go to the kitchen or laundry.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Talking

I'd set it up just like an airport. Have a lot of people coming and going so you're never stuck with the same face. It's accessible. Plenty of handicap parking too!
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

I would think that you would be able to design something that way. I would talk to an architect who design wheelchair accessible housing to see if they have any ideas/

I will be moving into a house that needs an addition built or bedroom enlargened. Are there any good sites with some good plans?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Norm,
    Check this site out.

I saw one of these. Built like a TANK!!!
    It was cheaper to have this put on a foundation than to have the same thing stick built.
    Track runs through the closet and everything in the onI saw. It was awesome.
    They make the place twoice as strong for the weight on the cieling and the heavy chairss on it.
    Pardon my mistakes, but I am shaky as hell tonihgt
    http://www.turtlehomes.com/

I would rather have it look like part of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I would rather have it look like part of the house.
    Norm, it did.
    They matched everything but the windows and those were so close, you had to really look close to see a diff.

Cool bathroom unit though, huh???

I can't use a bathroom like that. It needs to be a roll in shower.

Turtle Homes...

Me and hubby are still playing with the idea of having one of those put up when we find ourselves nice piece of property (since our house is starting to get a little bit tight with our two little guys and planning on some more addition). They seem to be priced reasonably, and if you put a nice basement under it, you are having quite a mansion going for you!
    Couple of the homeplans look better then the other ones...

Quote Originally Posted by thenose
    However, my problem has been if I needed a PCA, I did not want them to be "in" my personal space. I know this might might sound silly, considering what they often have to do, but I mean my surroundings are wide open to any PCA coming in.
    This isn;t silly at all, the fact that we don't have the privacy we want for our bodies and bodily functions just makes the provacy of the rest of our lives all that more important.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005