Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs, skunks and hydrogen peroxide

Dogs, skunks and hydrogen peroxide

Like another resent post, this has nothing to do with SCI, but here goes. My dog (a 100 pound Black Lab) didn’t learn last year about staying away from those black and white striped “kitties”. Once again she got sprayed right in the face by a skunk! We got her right back outside as soon as we realized it, and while my younger daughter ran around the house with the Oust and Febreeze, my other daughter washed her in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. It worked wonders. The poor dog kept trying to get away from the skunk spray, crawling under the deck chairs, quite a feat for a dog her size. So, Bob Clark, take note. Should your dog get sprayed I have another use for all your hydrogen peroxide!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap? Interesting elixir!

I'm curious - what does skunk spray smell like? Can anyone liken it to anything?

We don't get many round this way, lol.

keps, if you've never smelled a skunk, you're lucky. But I don't know how to describe it . . .

The dish soap would cut the oil and baking soda and peroxide are both odor neutralizers, so it would work well. It would probably be good to follow-up with a mild shampoo to wash away any trace of the dish soap, though because the alcohol content of the dish soap could cause problems (dish detergents have been found to be toxic to some animals). Another solution would be to use distilled white vinegar or massengil douche (the powdered version) mixed about 2x as strong as the directions call for.

Last time around we did the tomato juice bath. But this worked much better. Hopefully she has learned her lesson this time!

There were actually 2 versions of the recipe on the site I found them. One had a higher proportion of hydrogen peroxide, but wasn't recommended for dark dogs. Now if she had a yen to be a golden retriever ......
    Last edited by sjean423; 08-17-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Keps.....

Ever smelled rotten eggs, some really smelly feet, and decaying leaves. Mix them all together and you have a skunk except it doesnt go away.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

cre8tive and daisy...I am so glad I have never smelled skunk, and the chances of my doing so are extremely low!

really sucks when you hit one with your car. takes days for the smell to go away. nasty stuff.
    oh well

One year, we were camping and one got into the tent below us. I was probably 13-14 years old. It was hilarious at the time but now I could really sympathize with those poor people. The people left the campground at 3 AM. The campground manager loaded up their tent/sleeping bags and all and took them to the dumpster the next day and roped off the spot. It was a state park. It was a good thing we were leaving the next day because it smelled nasty.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

This is how potent skunk spray is ..... Kat and her friends were driving home late one night and a skunk was scootin' down the road and sprayed just as they passed .... didn't exactly hit the car but the scent entered the vents etc. and it was weeks and weeks before the smell disipated .... thick and nasty it is ......

Shaun has a skunk story .... maybe he'll share again for those of you who've not heerd it .....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry