Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum or Titanium??

Aluminum or Titanium??

It's time for a new chair, and I need some help with the pros and cons on aluminum vs titanium. I have only been in this chair for just over 3 years, and it was my first chair an A4 Titanium. It's O.K. I guess, I didn't try to many different chairs at rehab. I an wondering what other people who have had several chairs, have experienced with different chairs and styles.

Weight is a big factor for me, but do you find the same comfort and durability between and aluminum chair as you do a titanium chair?

I just got the new Top End Crossfire alum chair the reason why was its only .5 pd heavier then the titanium. couldnt see spending the extar $ for that.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

I asked that same question...http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=59209&page=5

I felt no real difference between the Ti chairs and Aluminum chair,just the price....

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598
    I just got the new Top End Crossfire alum chair the reason why was its only .5 pd heavier then the titanium. couldnt see spending the extar $ for that.
    Thats got the ergo seating right? How do like it?

just bear in mind the aluminum is 36% lighter than the ti. It's also easier to repair should there be a catastrophic problem (which almost never happens)...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    just bear in mind the aluminum is 36% lighter than the ti. It's also easier to repair should there be a catastrophic problem (which almost never happens)...
    Actually its about 1/2 the weight, 2.7g/cc Al vs. 4.43 g/cc Ti. But with Al @ 310MPa and Ti @ 1032MPa, you only need 1/4 to get the same strength.

Plus with Ti, it's harder thus less likely to have catastrophic problems...... Plus the warrentee will save yha.

If you already had Titanium, I think you might as well stick with it. No worries of scuzzy paint jobs, big gaudy tubes, cobby looking welds, etc. (I'm biased ). Now for my vote...since you had the A4, I sort of know where you are coming from. I briefly test piloted one of those, didnt like where the casters were. A great alternative is the TiLite TR, nice chair if you ask me, of course since I have one .

I'm thinking I will probable stay with Titanium. The next question is what Mfg. and style? The A4 is O.K. I guess, but there are several things I don't like about it. The chair is fully adjustable, the only thing I find myself adjusting is readjusting several things back to the original settings. I mean, axle tubes keep sliding out from transfering, sideguards keep tilting out until the rub the wheels, brakes have to readjusted, things like that.

I have been checking out different mfg's styles and reviews on Sport-Aid, to try and get an idea of what's out there. I like the looks of the new Invacare Crossfire T6 Ti, and the Terminator Ti. Quickie didn't have any good reviews. The TiLite looks good, does anybody have any feedback on the new Aero Z aliminum.

Or, if anyone has a web site that has more reviews please share it...

Thanks

I've had two TiLite TRC chairs and now am riding in a TiLite ZR. My new ZR, that I got two months ago, is a little heavier than my TRCs, which disappointed me. They're nice, smooth chairs. They claim the Ti for some reason makes the ride smoother (than Al?). I had a loaner aluminum Quickie out of the rehab hospital before getting my first TiLite, but I don't remember what that was like (that was 6 years ago).

The ZR has no lower tubing, which will be nice this winter, as the lower tubing always got dirty on my other chairs. I've liked all three chairs and would recommend TiLite. www.tilite.com
    Last edited by Rock517; 08-18-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by carman767
    The TiLite looks good, does anybody have any feedback on the new Aero Z aliminum.
    I was in yesterday and got all the sizing and measuring done for the Ti Lite ZRA..so i had them price the difference between it and the Aero Z and the difference was only 400 bucks,so i went Ti.I havnt heard anything negative about the ZRA or Ti Lite itself really..