Thread: T-1 to T-6

Question T-1 to T-6

what is the abilities difference between someone with a T-1 level of injury to that of a T-6, is it just balance? do abs work at T-6 ? a what if question for me.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

I'm a T-5 complete and my abs do not work. T-6 complete wouldn't work, either, I think. My "line of demarkation" is right at my nipple line, so a T-6 would be an inch or so lower.

I'm not sure what abilities would be different - we're talking a just a few vertebre, so I would just guess the difference between a T-1 and T-6 would not be that huge.
    Last edited by Rock517; 08-14-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    what is the abilities difference between someone with a T-1 level of injury to that of a T-6, is it just balance? do abs work at T-6 ? a what if question for me.
    I'm T6/T7 Complete and have NO balance. Abs do not work.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Hi,
    Here is a site from Wise that speaks to this.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=18205
    Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

AAD

i was more wondering whether i had the same chances to participate in certain sports and have the manueverability of say someone who is t-6. i mean if i drop my pen, and a t-6 drops his pen, does it equally suck for both of us.

I would think not much. I am a T6 and my balance depends on my tone. No tone, no balance. Cant see it getting much worse.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Your abdominals are innervated T6-T12, so between T1 and T5 most people (unless they are incomplete) do not have abdominals. The biggest difference is in the muscles of your upper back, and the intercostal muscles (the muscles between your ribs). The latter are innervated T1-T6, so the higher the injury in this range, the less intercostal muscles you have. Your intercostals assist you in taking extra deep breaths (together with your diaphragm), and also in forced exhalation (ie, coughing) although not as much as your abdominals do.

In theory, (and sometimes in practice) those with the higher injury in this range would have more breathing problems and more problems with trunk stability and balance.

Everyone between T1-T6 is about equally vulnerable to autonomic dysreflexia.

(KLD)

I'm a T6 complete. and i have semi balance. I had none in the beginning,but I have worked on it,and I can now sit on the edge of my bed and do my mom and sisters hair. like with hair color,so there is alot of reaching and stuff. as long as I dont have a spasm I'm good. spasms=holding on to moms hair to not fall back.. hehe. And as far as reaching for a pen, I can get stuff off the ground and then I just reach my arm back to grab my chair and pull me back up. gets easier.
    God is good

sci nurse ,

gracias, that was the info i was looking for. so i should be about the same as others with lower injuries excpet for my dificulties breathing like normal, which are evident. i could choke on a grain of rice. lord help me if i get a flu or cold, but that will not happen since i am vegan going on 5 years. the only respiratory problems i have had have been mold related.

My injury's like T4, and I have no abdominal muscles I can use.

I lose sensation just under my nipples.

My chest is noticeably weaker, and I cannot get a good cough anymore. I'm terrified of getting a cold because of this, and getting any food or drink caught in my throat is now a very frightening experience.

I am also prone to ad.