Thread: Looking to rent condo or house in Florida

Looking to rent condo or house in Florida

Does anyone know of a nice wheelchair accessible and affordable house/condo to rent for about 2 weeks in September? Must be close to Saint Petersburgh/Pinellas Park.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Why are you going to Florida in the middle of the hurricane season? It is still hot and muggy then too. Come to California. September is one of our best months.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Why are you going to Florida in the middle of the hurricane season? It is still hot and muggy then too. Come to California. September is one of our best months.

(KLD)
    Now, Now!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

(KLD)
    Don't be criticizing FL in September...you don't live here, so you can't give a REAL environmental report on the conditions.......Sept is actually pretty nice....Besides he's looking in the Tampa Bay area....just about the LEAST likely to be hit with hurricane nastiness....

JGNI-I wish I knew of something avail to rent....I know some people in the area, I could e-mail and ask if they know of anything however....let me know if you'd like me to do so.

I DO know of a great hotel right in Tampa near USF/Busch Gardens....but you're lookin' at min of $115/night for that.....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Yes, I thought of the hurricanes but had the same reasoning as Broknwing about the Tampa area being less of a problem. Beside, I am going there for wheelchair related business, even though I will take time to do things around too, I have been there a few times before. I hope to go to California one day and then I will go live at your place KLD .

Broknwing, thanks for your offer, I have seen a few nice houses in Orlando (I know it is not too close to Tampa but not that bad either) that are for rent by quads or paras from the UK, very very nice at about 700-800$ a week with pool and hoist, roll-in shower etc, I wish I could afford my own. See pics below:

If you know anything of that kind that would be closer to Saint Petersburg just let me know, you can still tell me what hotel you are talking about though.

JGNI-

looks like quite a nicely set up place in Orlando...I don't know of anything like that in Tampa, but I will ask the people in the area that I do know....w/out traffic, it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to get into Tampa, depending on where you're going. It usually takes more time getting back IN to Orlando, than it does getting out to Tampa...

The hotel I was talking about is the Embassy Suites at USF/Busch Gardens. Their accessible rooms are actually truely accessible, lots of space, w/LARGE roll in shower, and the beds are high enough with an open space that you could get a lift under. I'm not sure wether they've got lifts on site, but they may...Embassy Suites tends to have a lot of benefits/ammenities that other hotels tend not to think of...hence why I've ALWAYS loved them...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks Broknwing, I don't use lifts though so no need to worry. I don't even use a roll-in shower at home but it is nice to have one elsewhere so that I don't have to master new transfer acrobatics. I will look at the Embassy.

As far as hurricanes and travel to Florida that's like living with a loaded gun to your head. We all know down this way the Tambay area has been spared for many years by a large storm traveling up the bay but whatch gona do, live under your bed and never go anywhere? So has the North Atlantic coastal states. Believe me I know about hurricanes, I went through 3 bad storms in two years. In any case, Sept is a great month to visit Florida and everything is AC so heat/humidity is not a huge concern for most.

If it were me, I would most defiantly stay in St Pete or Clearwater, there are tons of condos and hotels,(if you do a search you will see what I mean) most with WC access. It is for your choosing. St Pete/Clearwater is the original retirement mecca of Florida and draws many old folks in WC's, accessibility should not be a problem. Availability should be decent as we are not in season yet here which usually starts around Thanksgiving when the snowbirds return. Also, travel through out Tambay(area wise it is much larger than appearances) can be daunting for someone not familiar with the area. Mix in the traffic and the fun starts.

Imo, it will be in your best interest to stay as close to or in the St Pete,Clearwater area. No matter what route ya take, and there are many, it can be a hike from the Busch Gardens area all the way over and south to St Pete. I use to live in Tampa and my family is there so I speak from experience and always give this advice to out of towners. You won't regret it. I hope this was helpful and if I can be of further help, just ask.
    Pam

I live in St.Pete/Clw area. I dont know of any houses for rent but ill check to see if i can find ya one.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Thanks all.