Thread: foot braces, summer heat, foot drop, tendon damage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

foot braces, summer heat, foot drop, tendon damage

i'm a complete c-6 quad, is it true that if you don't wear your foot braces and your feet drop, you'll do irrepairable damage to the tendons in your feet. so much so it it affects your p/t? i've banged my feet and legs around quite a bit lately and am getting an x-ray, but i'm still afraid not wearing my foot braces(i wore my bunny boots propped up in the winter, which made it impossible to roll onto my sides) has somehow ruined my my tendons and made it impossible to gain my sitting balance.
    i've also had an enormous amount of swelling i my feet and legs and they're always ICE COLD.
    my wheelchair has no foot guards either, so bumping around for an hour and 1 1/2 each way, makes my ankles lay down flat and is VERY PAINFUL.
    i do believe i've really hurt my left leg, it aches all day. i really smashed it bad getting on the acess van on thurs when i fell out of my chair.yes, i was wearing my seat belt, i fell forward my hand got caught on the accellator i saw my leg and foot b eing smashed i let go and my head hit the same metal my foot was against.
    Last edited by kickinglamb; 08-13-2006 at 06:53 PM.
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

what's a foot brace for?

I'm a c6 and wear only foam boots at night to protect my ankle from getting red.

What do you mean you don't have foot plates on your chair?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Do you mean heel loops as in foot guards? So your feet keep sliding underneath?

You're just asking for a pressure sore with all that bumping around and swelling! Take care Lori!

Hi,
    The best way to prevent foot drop is to wear shoes or footwear during the day while in your chair. If you were issued foot braces specially for your feet, you should wear them.
    All wheelchairs should be equipped with footplates to ensure good sitting posture and prevent injury to the feet.

If you smashed your foot during the van ride and there is swelling and pain, I would recommend you contact your doctor. You may need an xray.

AAD

Nurse, Quads And Anyone

i'm not talkig about having no footplates! i mean guards to keep my feet on the footplate. maybe i mean legbguards. whatever, didn't told you all i have the shittiest wheel chair ever made ?
    also, the braces made for me in the hosp. are huge hot and have kickstands to hold them up. how will i ever roll in them?
    Nurse please tell me will my tendons be ruined?
    please excuse the typos, the bad attitude, and thanks for any tips or advice,
    lori

The leg braces .... you only need them at night? I could never roll in them either. Empathy here, but no advice, sorry.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    The leg braces .... you only need them at night? I could never roll in them either. Empathy here, but no advice, sorry.
    so, do you use them now?

I was wondering what you meant. I am talking about those big boots to wear at nght to prevent foot drop. I don't wear them, because it made me too dependant in bed. Couldn't turn alone. But I am careful about doing ROM exercises, and stand 4-5 times a week. Also wear shoes in my chair as the nurse pointed out. I am T7-8, so no wonder you can't turn in them!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005