View Poll Results: leg amputation...have you cosiered it?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes i have

8 25.00%
  • no, never

24 75.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leg amputation???.....has anyone

Question leg amputation???.....has anyone

.....considered it as a pre-emptive strike to avoid health probs down the road such as bloodclots, circulation, pressure sores, infections, etc...also for mobility, central pain, blood pressure and such????

Jokingly discussed this with a doc in hospital..........apparently it would be a dreadful mistake balance-wise. With no legs you're just a tippy little torso
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I might get my penis removed along with the two legs. Who needs the sexual frustration?

problems would still exist with your stumpity stumps..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I think you would alleviate some problems but create more....

I havent ever considered it just because of my SCI but I guess if pressure sores on my feet were still a major problem. I might consider it. Im like Rhino, I think it really might throw your balance off worse.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No way. The thought of it creeps me out. A good friend of mine has been in a wheelchair for forty years and has never had a bloodclot or pressure sore, so I'll take my chances. Life's one big gamble anyway. Besides, I am very attached to my sexy legs. (Pun intended).
    Last edited by artsyguy1954; 08-13-2006 at 05:32 PM.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

This is a suggestion that often comes from an uninformed physician ("just cut them off since they don't work anyway"). Of course when the cure comes learning to use prosthesis may be problematic....

My response to these physicians is "why don't we just cut off your head...you don 't seem to be using your brain!".

In relationship to issues such as balance, prevention of pressure ulcers, and body image you are much better off keeping your legs. Only transfer get easier with amputations.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Jokingly discussed this with a doc in hospital..........apparently it would be a dreadful mistake balance-wise. With no legs you're just a tippy little torso
    Same here. Ever so frustrated at being unable to manage my legs at all, particularly to bring them onto the mat, I suggested an ax. But, balance and image would be compromised. I still sometimes have the urge to cut them off myself, following the course of insensate area. Imagine that! Then throwing them into the trash.

I once saw a woman on TV who had had both legs amputated as high as a leg can possibly be amputated, and went around with her half body on a skate board, propelling with her knuckles onto the ground. She would also climb on countertops from chairs, reach high cabinets, etc. She was amazing. She was singlehandedly taking care of her dad with Alzheimer´s, her mentally retarded brother, and her son.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Of course when the cure comes learning to use prosthesis may be problematic....

(KLD)
    Amen to this, you really would feel like a bit of a tit when the day comes. What a grim idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    I once saw a woman on TV who had had both legs amputated as high as a leg can possibly be amputated, and went around with her half body on a skate board, propelling with her knuckles onto the ground. She would also climb on countertops from chairs, reach high cabinets, etc. She was amazing. She was singlehandedly taking care of her dad with Alzheimer´s, her mentally retarded brother, and her son.
    That’s all? No werewolf’s hiding in the chimney etc?