Thread: PIE bowel program...

PIE bowel program...

i am looking into getting the PIE (PULSED IRRIGATION EVACUATION)system for my bowel program. just wondering if anyone has used it and can give me positive/negative feedback.

i'm a c6 complete injured 4/03, currently doing digital stim with a dil stick and much assistance from my parents. i'd love to find another method. any other suggestions?

Spaceboy - there have been several posts in the past about the P-I-E System. The following was in relation to preparation for colonoscopy. Note the comments and study post by Dr. Young and KLD's thoughts about trying the system before you purchase, to know that it works for you and that you can tolerate it: http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=13869

More information on the system: http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=12325

As with any ADL, time is an important factor. As time progresses, one's body does begin to adapt to a new way of functioning and routines that are very awkward can become easier. You still are very early post-injury; you may want to give yourself a little more time, in spite of your frustrations, in finding the best solution for yourself. CRF

Spaceboy - I have just found one more post by KLD about the P-I-E system. KLD is always a good reference for whatever the topic: http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=20082 CRF

I've been using the PIE system for about a year and a half. Since it requires assistance to set up and operate the machine, I think is best suited for high-level injuries (c5 and up) that already have lots of aide hours. I agree with the SCI nurse that you should try to establish a conventional bowel program before moving to the PIE system. That way you will not be dependent on a machine and expensive supplies.

I would summarize the pros and cons for me as follows:
    Pro: I was able to go from a daily bowel routine to three times a week and eliminate AD during the BP.
    No accidents! If any additional water or stool comes out, it is within a half-hour of the procedure while you're still in bed. Most of the time there is no additional discharge after the procedure at all.
    I feel healthier, less bloated.
    I have a small drain near my bed that allows me to empty the discharge directly. That means no smell or stool to clean up. Also, there is very rarely stool in contact with my skin , so no body odors or sources of catheter contamination.
    Did I mention no accidents? This is done a lot for my confidence.

Con: it requires an attendant during the whole procedure, that's why I think it's best suited for high-level quadriplegics that need a lot help to begin with.
    Water plus stool equals big mess. If something goes wrong, and believe me it will, you're in for a real clean up. There is a learning curve with this device for both the operator and your colon.
    The system is ridiculously priced and the company (consisting of three people) is erratic in terms of service and quality. This means you're depending on the system that will occasionally let you down.
    Cramping can be really uncomfortable, I don't look forward to doing the PIE.
    Long-term effects on the colon are unknown. So far for me, the process has only gotten easier and more dependable, but we went through some really rough spots.

Wesley - thanks for your very helpful and informative post. Glad this has worked for you. You have made a good point about the assistance needed and how this relates to a person's level of injury. CRF