Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faboo Vegan Food Find

Faboo Vegan Food Find

I'm loving Morningstar Farms black bean veggie burger. Delicious veggie burger with a lotta zesty spice. Yum!

Healthy food finds you enjoy?
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 08-07-2006 at 12:09 PM. Reason: addendum

They also make a good "chicken" patty and "sausage" patties (breakfast). The texture isn't quite that of meat, but they're darn good!

They also make a good "chicken" patty and "sausage" patties (breakfast). The texture isn't quite that of meat, but they're darn good!

Subway's veggie patty 6' sub.

I'm not into anything too processed if I want to eat healthy. Raw vegetables, fresh fruit. I went through a salad phase for like 2yrs when I was younger and I wish I could get back into it - but I'm still sick of them! Only once in a while ...

Lightbulb Protein

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I'm not into anything too processed if I want to eat healthy. Raw vegetables, fresh fruit. I went through a salad phase for like 2yrs when I was younger and I wish I could get back into it - but I'm still sick of them! Only once in a while ...
    People generally eat the veggie patties for their plant source protein as well as their vegetarian/vegan qualities. Philosophy and health coincide...and you won't get protein from fresh fruit or raw veggies; although combining the right veggies in a salad would do.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Blog Entries
    All 8 amino acids are in plant foods that are in animal sources. Spinach is high in protein and I use it instead of lettuce in salads. Never was a big lettuce eater unless I was picking it in the fields anyway. It has no taste.
    Then you have your varied bean salads. And of course, I could never call it a salad unless it had sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flax seed, peanuts, etc in it.
    There are a lot of raw plant source veggies. I have eaten a lot of morningstar products over the years but worthington foods have much better quality items. I can't find much locally, but we get multiple cases of different items a few times a year from Collegedale near Chattanooga. Truck load at a time, lol.
    I like their chicken(fry chick) and hot dog(veggie links) analogs the best. And the 'roast beast' or 'BARFECUE' ( a big log or roll like bologna)as we call it,lol. Mock stroganoff from canned burger crumbles. Ahhh grubbbb.... there is SO MUCH variety when you start cooking, you will never run out.
    My neice switched to being a vegan recently. She has made 2 different kinds of cookies(healthy) in the last week, with flaxseed, oatmeal n raisins as some of the ingredients. No sugar, she is a smart girl (takes after her uncle

There are many good cookbooks out there. You don't have to depend solely on the quick items, use the analogs as substitutes in tasty, complex recipes just as you would animal products.

For me, being a vegan isn't the 'don't harm animals philosophy' that a lot of folks relate it to. It is an educated diet change. Not that I bury cats and run the mower over them either I think of animals as my friends and a lot of them, more so than some people,lol.
    I care for our world greatly, but I don't camp in treetops like some airheads do,lol.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by roshni
    Subway's veggie patty 6' sub.
    I don't get the pattie, didn't know they had one. But I do get a veggie sub on whole wheat, extra olives, pepperocinis, jalapenoes, mustard, no cheese or mayo. If I'm feeling messy, I get olive oil on it.
    mmmmm... now ya got me droolin' I get the foot long, half one just gets me hungry. That's my idea of eating out.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I don't get the pattie, didn't know they had one. But I do get a veggie sub on whole wheat, extra olives, pepperocinis, jalapenoes, mustard, no cheese or mayo. If I'm feeling messy, I get olive oil on it.
    mmmmm... now ya got me droolin' I get the foot long, half one just gets me hungry. That's my idea of eating out.
    Now you got me droolin.

" There are a lot of raw plant source veggies."; an interesting statement. Esp if you don't cook them first.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    People generally eat the veggie patties for their plant source protein as well as their vegetarian/vegan qualities. Philosophy and health coincide...and you won't get protein from fresh fruit or raw veggies; although combining the right veggies in a salad would do.
    At this point with endo and pressure sores - I don't see any viable way I could give up having meat as my protein source. So it is 'in addition' to the raw veggie/fruit eating tendencies.

I would love to throw sunflower seeds, nuts into a salad and take it to work .. but we have someone with a severe allergy to nuts, seafood and soy ... very limiting.