Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irragating with purified water and vinegar

does irrigating really help not clog? dr does not not know why I am clogging seems eveythey 3 weeks clogged but clan as a whistle in side? would a touch of vinegar help?

Banned

Question Grammy49er:

Quote Originally Posted by siglrm View Post
    I have been irragating morning and night for the last few days and my catheter was clogged again yesterday. We tried putting in water and some did come out, but when trying to irrigate again we met resistance and were unable to force more water through the catheter into the bladder. Shortly thereafter my blood pressure elevated, Goosebumps, red blotches, etc. We changed the catheter and I pissed out whatever water that was put in and then some. At this rate, I am having to have my catheter changed every three days! It is very frustrating because I am afraid of being alone should this thing decide to clog again. We looked at the catheter and it seems that the blockage is near the bottom, (probably because it was forced there when trying to irragate). When pinching the catheter it doesn't seem to be as gritty where it is blocked, but we were still unable to force water through it at any rate. This whole sediment issue is driving me crazy!
    My husband has proteus mirabilis. Is this what you have? Would flushing his bladder with the vinegar solution be beneficial for him?

Banned

Grammy49er

Hello everyone. This is my first time to ever join one of these sites. Not sure how to use it.

My my husband has proteus mirabilis bladder infection. He got it after having robotic prostate cancer surgery. This is the first bladder infection he has had since his injury in July of 2000. His urologist ignored it as well as most of his other doctors for over a year. After much research we insisted on a urine culture for proteus mirabilis, and sure enough it came back positive. I am really upset that they let it go so long when just maybe we would have had better luck getting rid of the stuff if they had checked for it earlier. Come to find out it is very common after prostate surgery. You would think the urologist would be aware of this. He had all the classic symptoms with in 2 was after surgery.
    Anyway, does anyone know of anything that will get rid of this stuff?
    Any info would be appreciated..

A culture and sensitivity (C&S) test should have been done on his urine to determine which antibiotic(s) it is sensitive to, if any. There is no way to tell otherwise what the correct treatment is.

Keep in mind though that just having a positive culture, without signs or symptoms of infection, is very common in SCI, and is not considered an infection, but instead colonization. Generally it is advisable to NOT treat for colonization, as it tends to result in the development of resistant organisms. This then leaves the person with few or no resources in antibiotics to use if they develop a true infection (fever, chills, flank pain, elevated WBC in the blood, bad AD, etc.) later.

How does he manage his bladder?

(KLD)

I have been using Hydrocleanse for a 3 to 4 minute instillation and then withdrawal using the syringe rather than a passive flowing out through the catheter. Hopefully it is helping keep down the colonization and infection. However it is quite pricey. No doubt vinegar is a lot cheaper. Would vinegar be helpful in keeping down colonizing bacteria? Should it be used as an irrigation or left in for a couple of minutes? What would be the proportions of vinegar to water to be used? For instance, 1:5, 1:10, etc.

There is no good evidence for vinegar bladder instillations or irrigations being effective in either the prevention or treatment of UTIs.

(KLD)

As a method to reduce colonization?

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    As a method to reduce colonization?

Evaluation of 3 Methods of Bladder Irrigation to Treat Bacteriuria in Persons With Neurogenic Bladder

Read the entire study at NCBI*: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1864807/

Ken B Waites, MD,1,2 Kay C Canupp, MSN, CRNP,2 James F Roper, MD, MS,2,3 Susan M Camp, MSN, CRNP,3 and Yuying Chen, MD, PhD2

Abstract

Background/Objective:

We conducted a randomized, double-blind comparison of twice daily bladder irrigation using 1 of 3 different solutions in community-residing persons with neurogenic bladder who used indwelling catheters to evaluate efficacy in treatment of bacteriuria.

Methods:

Eighty-nine persons with bacteriuria were randomized to irrigate their bladders twice daily for 8 weeks with 30 mL of (a) sterile saline, (b) acetic acid, or (c) neomycin-polymyxin solution. Urinalysis, cultures, and antimicrobial susceptibility tests were performed at baseline and weeks 2, 4, and 8 to determine the extent to which each of the solutions affected numbers and types of bacteria, urinary pH, urinary leukocytes, and generation of antimicrobial-resistant organisms.

Results:

Bladder irrigation was well tolerated with the exception of 3 participants who had bladder spasms. None of the 3 irrigants had a detectable effect on the degree of bacteriuria or pyuria in 52 persons who completed the study protocol. A significant increase in urinary pH occurred in all 3 groups. No significant development of resistance to oral antimicrobials beyond what was observed at baseline was detected.

Conclusions:

Bladder irrigation was generally well tolerated for 8 weeks. No advantages were detected for neomycin-polymyxin or acetic acid over saline in terms of reducing the urinary bacterial load and inflammation. We cannot recommend bladder irrigation as a means of treatment for bacteriuria in persons with neurogenic bladder.

This study showed that twice daily bladder washout with saline, acetic acid, or neomycin-polymyxin solution is well tolerated by most persons with neurogenic bladder managed by an indwelling Foley catheter. The procedure did not cause pain or inflammation beyond what is already present in the urine or lead to the generation of antimicrobial-resistant organisms beyond their baseline occurrence. This conclusion must be tempered with the fact that there was already a high prevalence of MRSA and MDR gram-negative bacilli in the study population. The results were disappointing, although not entirely unexpected, in that that no beneficial effect of any of the 3 irrigant solutions on reducing bacterial colony counts or urinary leukocytes, or improving the quality of urine overall could be shown. In view of these findings, there is no basis on which to recommend the use of bladder irrigation as a routine method for treating asymptomatic bacteriuria in catheterized persons with neurogenic bladder. Future studies incorporating an increased volume of irrigant, frequency of instillations, and/or duration of treatment should be considered.

*NCBI
    The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.

All the best,
    GJ

heres a good read as well. apparently many are very successful
    http://www.newmobility.com/2015/12/b...ant-solutions/
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

And, there are those of us, me included, who use HydroCleanse, Microcyn, MicrocynAH and have very good luck with it. I know there are those who either don't like it or haven't had the results that I and others have had. But, my urine is generally crystal clear, no odor, no sediment, no clogged catheter, no urinary tract infections in a bit over 2 years. Supra pubic catheter in place.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-10-2016 at 07:14 PM.