View Poll Results: Due to your physical condition have you been advice to see a psycoanalyst?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    7 46.67%
  • Yes by a medical provider.

    8 53.33%
  • Yes by a friend.

    1 6.67%
  • Yes by an enemy

    0 0%
  • Yes by a wino on the street.

    1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Due to your physical condition have you been adviced to see a psycoanalyst?

  1. #11

    Religious Freaks

    A few times I've been told that if I accept Jesus into my heart I would be instantly healed. So that makes me mad.

    Then once when I asked for more physical therapy my case worker at PMG told me,
    "If I was you, I would need more mental therapy than physical therapy."

    Great attempt at trying to deny benefits. The famous "If I was you" bothers me sooooooooooooooooo much.
    Last edited by sachad; 08-17-2006 at 05:43 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sachad
    A few times I've been told that if I accept Jesus into my heart I would be instantly healed. So that makes me mad.

    Then once when I asked for more physical therapy my case worker at PMG told me,
    "If I was you, I would need more mental therapy than physical therapy."

    Great attempt at trying to deny benefits. The famous "If I was you" bothers me sooooooooooooooooo much.
    Welcome to the forum sasha.
    Sorry about the religious people. I think they mean well.

    I have never met a tranverse myelitis victim in person. And do doubt if too many in the general public even know what the word means. Much less what the symptoms are..or what the prognosis can entail.

    Good thing for people like Sue getting some knowledge out to the public. Your condition seems to know NO boundaries in race, age, or geographic location.

    And the symptoms are so incredibly diverse in presentation. A real medical doozy is what it looks like to me.

    Thanks ALL for voting in the poll. Even with the small participation I think I see this a bit more clearly.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

  3. #13
    I answered yes for my wife, but it was a psychologist to whom she was referred, not a psychoanalyst; she was referred by her pain specialist - not as an alternative to meds or a way to decrease their usage, but as an adjunct to them. The experience has been helpful for her.

    These suggestions of faking it that some tell about are beyond my compehension. I can't imagine anyone faking it when it comes to the bowel program & catheter!
    Yeah, she's had people who want to lay hands on her & heal her. If only that worked!
    - Richard

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    I answered yes for my wife, but it was a psychologist to whom she was referred, not a psychoanalyst; she was referred by her pain specialist - not as an alternative to meds or a way to decrease their usage, but as an adjunct to them. The experience has been helpful for her.

    These suggestions of faking it that some tell about are beyond my compehension. I can't imagine anyone faking it when it comes to the bowel program & catheter!
    Yeah, she's had people who want to lay hands on her & heal her. If only that worked!
    - Richard
    Richard,
    I am not saying that psychological or psychoanalytical help isn't valuable to people.

    Just in my individual case..in 55 years of being disabled..no other professional has ever said that this type of care was needed. And I didn't just become stubborn yesterday.

    I am seeing this doctor Monday and have a list of questions for HIM. An analysis so to say of his ability to be MY doctor.
    We really haven't had a heart to heart since I started seeing him last year. And I have an HMO that has limited providers attached.

    If he and I don't come to an understanding..and he insists upon his opinions..I will have to change providers even if that means paying for it completely out of pocket. If he insists on his analysis recommendation then I will not be seeing a mental provider..but will definately be seeing my attorney.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

  5. #15
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    Richard,
    I am not saying that psychological or psychoanalytical help isn't valuable to people.

    Just in my individual case..in 55 years of being disabled..no other professional has ever said that this type of care was needed. And I didn't just become stubborn yesterday.

    I am seeing this doctor Monday and have a list of questions for HIM. An analysis so to say of his ability to be MY doctor.
    We really haven't had a heart to heart since I started seeing him last year. And I have an HMO that has limited providers attached.

    If he and I don't come to an understanding..and he insists upon his opinions..I will have to change providers even if that means paying for it completely out of pocket. If he insists on his analysis recommendation then I will not be seeing a mental provider..but will definately be seeing my attorney.
    Now this sounds like me! I always ask a new doc a few questions. Like why this field of medicine? Why medicine at all? Schools they attended? For those that it applies to ask if they know what AD is or post-polio syndrome. No, I'm not trying to check for the worst grad in his/her med school. Just I have found that doctors AND nurses that willingly answer these kind of questions without getting defensive are more likely to listen to my ideas and research alternatives if I am not into the "normal" way of dealing with a problem.

    I take in a printed sheet with a short medical history back to grandparents because of specific over lapping medical problems. Make sure you include all medical problems unrelated to your disability on this sheet. The normal list of current meds, supplements and why you take them and current living arrangements-home with husband/wife/kids, single with help coming in daily or live in, assisted living, service animal, independent, etc. I also tend to discuss my not so great reactions to most drugs and why I'd prefer other modalities to meds when possible.

    Oh, and any specialist should have a list of your other doctors or at the very least your primary care doc and phone numbers to the doc/docs and your pharmacy.

    Let us know how it goes Lin. Good luck!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  6. #16
    oops i took the poll by error
    I don't have TM
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

    I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz321
    oops i took the poll by error
    I don't have TM
    Thanks for taking the poll Liz. It wasn't meant only for TM or atraumatic injuries or diseases.
    Interesting that the numbers show more of this type advice given to atraumatic vs. traumatic happenings.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

  8. #18
    Senior Member singin_intherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?
    Posts
    349

    Don’t even get me started.

    In the years when I felt things changing and being wrong and was pushing about it, but before you could see it, I got that all the time. (Along with “your level of concern doesn’t seem consistent with your condition.”) It’s pretty small victory that now that it’s visible one of the most egregious offenders (especially because I liked him and wanted him to get me) says of me to others “a courageous woman.”

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Now this sounds like me! I always ask a new doc a few questions. Like why this field of medicine? Why medicine at all? Schools they attended? For those that it applies to ask if they know what AD is or post-polio syndrome. No, I'm not trying to check for the worst grad in his/her med school. Just I have found that doctors AND nurses that willingly answer these kind of questions without getting defensive are more likely to listen to my ideas and research alternatives if I am not into the "normal" way of dealing with a problem.

    I take in a printed sheet with a short medical history back to grandparents because of specific over lapping medical problems. Make sure you include all medical problems unrelated to your disability on this sheet. The normal list of current meds, supplements and why you take them and current living arrangements-home with husband/wife/kids, single with help coming in daily or live in, assisted living, service animal, independent, etc. I also tend to discuss my not so great reactions to most drugs and why I'd prefer other modalities to meds when possible.

    Oh, and any specialist should have a list of your other doctors or at the very least your primary care doc and phone numbers to the doc/docs and your pharmacy.

    Let us know how it goes Lin. Good luck!
    Hi Sue,
    How are you?
    Your advice was very fine indeed. Fortunately I am a pretty healthy overall ole broad. And I attribute much of that health to the use of crutches vs. a chair.

    We had a pretty good chat.
    My primary care doctor is alright. He is young but a good humored guy and well educated and always searching.
    When this PPS started I was sent by my GP that I had since coming to California to a neurologist. That one was WAY out there..and cold as ice. So I went to my ortho I had used since coming here..and he was the best and we really worked together..but unfortunately he died last year..thus referred to this neurologist.

    Thus this shrink recommendation..he did fess up that he wasn't all that up on polio or PPS..and got alot of his information from the so called experts. I should have seen the flag with our first encounter.

    I hit my head a couple of weeks ago bungie diving on some steps. And this was when he became insistent on the chair. Then the shrink. I had to inform him that
    when you use crutches ALL the time..you fall sometimes..then you get back up. You don't throw the crutches away. Shit happens.

    This is more an orthopedic problem..always was..always will be. Thus I will find an OLD ortho with a young mind. They don't care if your a little bit crazy.

    And don't see any type of help coming from neurology unless they can replace worn out neurons. So a waste of time playing their game. A good ortho doesn't play mind games.

    I know this isn't the best advice for others.
    And you can delete it if you want.

    Thanks for having this forum.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

  10. #20
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Feeling tons better since Maggie became a part of our lives. Still miss my Reggie but Maggie is a trip and so diffferent. Drives us crazy. I love her.

    I wish you were on this coast Lindox. Let me do a little searching and if I can't find what I'm looking for I'll call Dr Halsted on Monday and see if he can recommend someone with PPS experience out there. Are you in northern, southern or central CA? Feel free to PM me if you want. Laro Halsted was my team leader while I was in rehab the first time. He has PPS and now mainly does research at NRH in Washington. He had started using a scooter to get around the halls while I was there the first time. Didn't stop him from doing everything he wanted that I could see. Just saved his energy for what he considered important--his family and patients. He contracted polio while wandering through Spain and finished medical school after the worst was over. I'm sure you've seen his books on how to deal with PPS. And some docs will suggest a chair or scooter to save your shoulders. Do ask them why before you jump. A scooter is a much better shoulder saver though so why docs are suggesting chairs I don't get. And scooters, 4 wheel kind, are easy to manuveur, safe, cheaper than most manual fitted chairs and can be easily left as Dr Halsted always did to walk into a patient's room or in your case to go in a mall store area, dog arena or around the house.

    I hate to say that until I met Wise and a few others of his ilk (damn few like him) I'd have had to generalize that neurosurgeons do not have personalities and neurologists are geeks without computer skills. None of this applies to any of my extended family! :-) A neurologist might be good to arrange an EMG if you are having any pain to see if it is nerve or ortho generated or overlaps. Obviously I'll try and find a new one for you if needed. But if an ortho is all that you've ever needed than see if your state medical board has a list of docs with PPS experience. A teaching hospital SHOULD be teaching PPS until there is no one left on Earth who has had wild or immunization caused polio. I think the best hospitals issue of US News and World Reports is still on news stands. I'd buy one. That applies to everyone.

    And stay a healthy, crazy old broad. I'd hate to be alone.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Similar Threads

  1. Exercise Barriers Seen for Spinal Cord Injury Survivors
    By Max in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 05:08 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 01:26 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 09:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •