Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bladder and bowel care

bladder and bowel care

Came across this link : http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/gl...2/dwe00227.htm with a target audience designed for kids with SCI and spina bifida. In simple terms, it explains spastic/flaccid bladder and bowel and describes how to appropriately manage each. I figured it might help explain bladder and bowel issues to people with new family members who have suffered a SCI.
    Daniel

Very informative, but I think the use of the word "shit" - which is used repeatedly - is rather coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Very informative, but I think the use of the word "shit" - which is used repeatedly - is rather coarse.
    Oh shit! Now they have to rewrite it.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Oh shit! Now they have to rewrite it.

lol.

What can I say...I have delicate sensibilities.

I agree with keps. It sort of makes it difficult to take seriously. Imagine receiving all your sex education using slang. It just doesn't register correctly in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodave
    I agree with keps. It sort of makes it difficult to take seriously. Imagine receiving all your sex education using slang. It just doesn't register correctly in my mind.
    I agree with Keps. I just couldn't resist being a smartass.

I am moving this over to the Care forum. I don't think the information is correct or appropriate for new injury folks or their families who think that this is posted seriously.

(KLD)

For the record, I did post it in all seriousness. I thought the information would be helpful and I'm a bit disappointed that other people didn't see it this way.

I'm not a medical professional and cannot comment on whether or not the information was accurate.

KLD, I'm curious which parts did you find inaccurate?
    Daniel

I just quickly read through the bladder care part of it at first and didn't see the naughty "s" word. Although it did mention "pee" once or twice in the bladder care section. But the words, "pee and shit" were put in parantheses when used.

I think the book/pamphlet was printed more for those in third world countries than for those here in the US or in Westen Europe and other modern countries. And the "s" word doesn't hold the vulgarity in many third world countries that it does here in the US and Western Europe. The book was translated into many languages so the words "pass stool" may not translate very well. Even here in the US it can have a couple of meanings. The book contained the word "asshole" too and it was also put in parenthesis. I imagine the authors of the book know that many of those in the third world may not know what an "anus" is but apparently everyone in the world knows what an asshole is. Is fuentesjps here?

Disabled Village Children is a book of information and ideas for all who are concerned about the well - being of disabled children. It is especially for those who live in rural areas where resources are limited. But it is also for therapists and professionals who assist community-based programs or who want to share knowledge and skills with families and concerned members of the community.
    I don't think it would be proper or even legal in the US and Western Europe for an 8 year old paraplegic girl to help a 5 year old paraplegic girl with her bowel program!

And I don't think this homemade wooden "walker" would pass the FDA's Regulation of Medical Devices test. The poor kid. It's a cruel world.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

For only having wood to work with, it looks like a pretty good job to me.

I am not saying I combed through in great detail, but having been involved a little bit with ESL people from third world countries...I think I get what might be happening.

It seems very serious and quite good to me besides the shit and asshole parts.
    Many people I have met from India and Korea seem to use these words regularly until they learn the culture a bit in the US. COuld it be a legit attempt at covering all the bases?
    Besides those words, the thing seems to be excellent.