Thread: Floor work

Floor work

Sorry if I have this in the wrong place, I'm new to this site.

I am an Animal Massage Therapist. I visit people's homes to work on their animals. I'm trying to find a practical way to get up off the floor into my wheelchair. (I use a Quickie rigid chair, and the footrest prohibits me from pulling myself straight into the chair.)

Does anyone do floor exercises, etc. And how do you get up into your chair?

PS upper body strength isn't an issue for me

You can do a search for "floor to chair" and lot's of people even have posted videos. I am an AB, but I know that you can get one of those fixed foot rests that releases on one side so you can flip it up so it is out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    You can do a search for "floor to chair" and lot's of people even have posted videos. I am an AB, but I know that you can get one of those fixed foot rests that releases on one side so you can flip it up so it is out of the way.
    I don't know about rigid wheelchairs with the flip footrest, but I agree with the first part--there are transfer videos on this site. Check out :

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=50721
    Daniel

Just wondering... how is your client base? I'm assuming that you have To limit yourself only homes that are wheelchair accessible. It sounds like an interesting career!
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Blog Entries
    The ONLY way I can get back into my chair from the floor is the same way I get down. I put an object on my left with space for my body between it and the chair to lower myself to the ground and back up. I put my left hand on it, remove my splash/wheel guards, fold my armrest away and position myself to the edge of the cushion. Lower myself off the side.
    To get up, my left hand is on the object(couch, 5gallon bucket, bed, floor of open truck door,etc) my right hand is on the legrest closest to me, or sometimes the seat itself, I then push my self up and swing my butt onto the edge of the cushion and go from there. It took practice and warm your shoulders up first so ya don't inadvertantly pull something.
    Oh, don't let the dog lick ya on the way up, it's hard doing this when laughing

Yea, if you have the solid foot plate you can flip it up to one side. Or maybe that is just on a Quickie because that is what he had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Just wondering... how is your client base? I'm assuming that you have To limit yourself only homes that are wheelchair accessible. It sounds like an interesting career!
    I agree. It sounds like an interesting career. You must really like animals
    Daniel

Thanks everybody!

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. My rigid chair doesn't have a moveable footrest as an option, unfortunately. I'm going to try the strategies mentioned and see if I can do some mixture of them. My balance is very lousy, so maybe I need to work on that. My arms are strong though, so maybe all I need is to practice.

Yes, I love my career. I have people come to my house and I work on thier animals on a mat table. It's very sturdy so the animal isn't afraid of it, and I transfer to it and do the massage there. Most people's home aren't accessible, but their garages are or their front driveway!

I just have this yearning to get down on the floor more often - its such a natural thing to do for the able bodied - and it's ideal for the animal.

Again, thank you. I read all of your messages carefully and will let you know if I get some success!!

Best!

My client base

Hi Njenn, after I became certified as an animal massage therapist, I tried just word of mouth. That worked OK, but not hugely. I finally went to the bank with a business plan and got a start-up loan, and decided to use it on a (very expensive ...) business coach. Even tho she's expensive, she's changed my world. I do email newlsetters, I teach, I have more clients than I can handle, I'm charging much more than I thought I could, and I'm writing articles for magazines which pay some too. So despite the cost of the business coach, its worth it. She forced me to do budgets, forecasting, marketing strategies, target audience, everything. Quite a learning curve!

If you're interested, my website is www.marnieblack.com

Best.