Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It´s happened to me twice already

It´s happened to me twice already

About one month ago I got a little piece of rice stuck on my throat, and felt like I was gonna die. The throat just locks up around this little piece of rice as if it wants to choke it, but instead it choked the hell out of me. I was able to breathe a tiny breath of air and after a horrible scare and what seemed like hours I was finally able to breathe enough to cough. No air, no cough, not able to scream Heimlick (sp.), nothing.

Today, it happened to me again. I was scared crapless with food stuck in my throat without being able to breathe. This time it seemed to go on longer. My eyes were blood red from the breathing and coughing effort.

This never happened to me before my accident.

Now, one of my theories is the cotton mouth effect of detrol or ditropan (I was taking detrol a month ago and now I am taking ditropan). Could that be it?

Is it from sitting down all the time and poor posture?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any theories??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Why not drink when something is stuck in your throat? Always clears the gorge for me.

It happened to me while in rehab. The nurses kept nagging me to eat before getting up day after day after day. It got on my nerves so I had some toast just to shut them up. (I know they were nagging me out of best intentions but dang.) So, I'm half way through my first slice and a crumb went into just the right spot of my throat to trigger a reflex that closed my Trachea or whatever happens to close. I couldn't breath at all, my eyes were watering and even though I kept myself calm the nurses were freaking out. All they did was turn me over. Ummm... how bout getting a Dr. gals? Was what I was thinking.

I kept trying to sneak air by to try and cough but it wouldn't let me. I figured I was going to die and that the nurses were just going to watch it happen. Very close to becoming passed out my lungs were begging for air and another trigger must have went off in my body because it allowed a small amount of air by. Just enough to cough slightly, which wasn't much because I'm a C5 and had a very weak diaphragm at that time.

After getting my air back the nurses kind of just buggered off with dumb looks on their faces like they didn't want in on any part of having to explain what happened. A common occurance at the Glenrose Rehab Hospital. The Dr. sent me to a swallowing test. They X-rayed me while I swallowed food and water to see how strong my function was. It was fine and dandy but they wouldn't take my word for it without a test. Since then I have only come close to a choking incident but my diaphragm is much more able to cough now.

I have had a similar problem for a long time. What I finally found out was that if my sinuses are draining and the phlem collects in my throat, small hard bits of things like rice, chips, nuts and stuff collect in the phlem and cause me to cough, sometimes uncontrollably. I know it sounds strange, but now I always blow my nose before eating and amazingly, this solves the problem more times than not.

I don't have any advice but I can sympathize. When I was in rehab they would serve rice for supper alot and I chose it one day. Bad idea! I still had my trach in and I swear I got a piece of rice stuck in that damn trach. I coughed and coughed and eventually made them sucion (sp?) me before I was okay. I didn't eat rice for almost a year after that.
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Also happens when you drink something too cold. The irritation can cause those spasms which does make you feel like you are choking but try drinking with rating, eat slowly and you should try & relax and it will stop sooner.

cwo

i eat rice too (any kind of brown rice), but i always pour Worcheshire sauce, Lea and Perrins, or soy sauce on it to keep it moist as most rice can be dry..

i like different sauces on different things and it helps with pieces not getting lodged.. my only problem is that i tend to chew too fast and swallow too quickly.. (setup for a joke)

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    It happened to me while in rehab. The nurses kept nagging me to eat before getting up day after day after day. It got on my nerves so I had some toast just to shut them up. (I know they were nagging me out of best intentions but dang.) So, I'm half way through my first slice and a crumb went into just the right spot of my throat to trigger a reflex that closed my Trachea or whatever happens to close. I couldn't breath at all, my eyes were watering and even though I kept myself calm the nurses were freaking out. All they did was turn me over. Ummm... how bout getting a Dr. gals? Was what I was thinking.

I kept trying to sneak air by to try and cough but it wouldn't let me. I figured I was going to die and that the nurses were just going to watch it happen. Very close to becoming passed out my lungs were begging for air and another trigger must have went off in my body because it allowed a small amount of air by. Just enough to cough slightly, which wasn't much because I'm a C5 and had a very weak diaphragm at that time.

After getting my air back the nurses kind of just buggered off with dumb looks on their faces like they didn't want in on any part of having to explain what happened. A common occurance at the Glenrose Rehab Hospital. The Dr. sent me to a swallowing test. They X-rayed me while I swallowed food and water to see how strong my function was. It was fine and dandy but they wouldn't take my word for it without a test. Since then I have only come close to a choking incident but my diaphragm is much more able to cough now.
    This is exactly what happened to me. It is scary. The thing is that when the trachea locks up it is impossible to cough because there is not enough air in the lungs, seems to me. It is very different to get choked up which happens occasionally than this thing. When it gets stuck in that "right spot" as you call it, man you know you are in for a scary episode. Both times it has happened to me while in the chair, long after release from rehab (this happened to me within the last month and I got out of rehab a long time ago).

ever have your tonsils and/or adenoids removed?

may want to have an ENT consult?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Thanks for all the responses. I would think that my problem is also eating too fast, laughing and not concentrating enough on chewing properly. Believe me, you cannot drink anything when your trachea locks up (if that is what spasms). You cannot breathe, you cannot do anything but pray that someone around can do the heimlick maneuver.

How about the Ditropan theory? From what I am reading it happens mostly with dry foods. I eat brown rice all the time, every day as a matter of fact, and usually very dry.