Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help understanding meds.

Need help understanding meds.

I keep getting UTI'S. And i'm wondering will I become imune to all antibiotics. Then what will I do? And if I become imune to one will I always be imune. Or will over time will I be able to use that drug again. Because that is what I was told. Please help!

Some of the common organisms that cause UTI ARE "SMART" BUGS and can cnage and become resistant to some antibiotics especially if you take antibiotcs that you don't really need or take antibiotics and didn't finish th entire dose and clear the infection.This has cut out options but there are still anti biotics we can relie on.
    So, don't get treated for organisms in your urine if they are colonized and not causing you any problems or take antibiotics without a culture showing you need them.

CWO

CWO
    Thank you for your answer.

I know the feeling Rainman I too keep getting uti's and wonder if they will ever end , so far I've tried 4 different meds. and they keep on coming LBUSH

Every infection is different. At the start, UTIs will generally respond to various drugs, such as macrobid, Levaquin, Cipro, etc. However, as SCI-Nurse mentioned, some bugs may become resistant to one .. or all .. of those drugs. However, just because you have one infection that is resistant to cipro does not mean that cipro will never be effective in the future. This is why if you have a symptomatic UTI, you should ALWAYS get it typed to find out which drug it is (or is not) susceptible to. Then you can take the right drug that will kill it. If you take the wrong drug - e.g. one it is already resistant to, it will just make that bug even more resistant to that drug ... never a good thing. We cycle through a number of drugs (we ... he, Chad that is) and so far there is always something that will work. In other words, he has used Levaquin on and off over the years because sometimes a particular infection is resistant to Levaquin and sometimes it is not. It is not a forever thing (in most cases).
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Screw meds, they just keep messing you up more. Unless it's a really bad UTI, don't take an antibiotic. Take some cranberry pills, take vitamins, and drink some water. Oh, and cath a lot. It'll probably go away. Get up and exercise too don't lie in bed.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

ZillaAngel, Darren
    Thank you for your replies. Angel i'm always worried if one day nothing works.

Awwwww, I like you now. Everyone calls me zilla, I like angel! Anyway, you can be assured that there is almost a 100% possibility that SOMETHING will work. There is always vancomycin, an IV drug administered in hospital. There are a few cases of vanco-resistant bugs cropping up, but they have not been UTI bugs, they are mainly staph bugs. Have no worries, just be sure to DRINK ALOT, CATH OFTEN and have any symptomatic UTI typed for drug suspectibility. Chad has muddled his way through 18 years of UTIs and still can take the regular joe drugs such as cipro etc, it's just that it's a revolving door. NEVER take an antibiotic before it's been typed, that's a big temptation, but don't do it. You'll thank me. Good luck, Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Thanks angel.

Rainman ,boy do I know the feeling , they told me yesterday I have another UTI , it seems like I get the medication ,then I'm good for a couple of weeks then they come back , and with me ,I don't know about yours , mine are getting me right in the kidney area on both sides and I can't move . goodluck with yours Rainman ; Divin Darin , I don't cath I have a bag on all the time my Bladder no longer works I drink a lot of cranberry juice and at least 4 glasses of water and my UTI's keep coming back every other week or so it seems , it just seems to be one thing after another with me , after just getting over having GOUT in my left ankle ; LBUSH
    Last edited by LBUSH49; 08-05-2006 at 12:10 PM.