Thread: Project Walk

Project Walk

I searched and checked out Project Walk's site and have gathered some preliminary info. I'm hoping someone can confirm or deny my understanding (or misunderstanding) of how PW works. I am 2 years post and my physiatrist thinks a "road trip" is in order due to the lack of good, aggressive therapy here in MA. I walk with AFO's and a walker, but lack proprioception and balance. PW, to me seems like a costly, drastic, over-the-top remedy to my situation.

My HMO will not cover it, I'm sure. I have a hard time getting benefits out of my local network. I would be responsible for travel (including a "trial week"); room and board; transportation; yada, yada. In addition, I would need to have someone accompany me to assist with the above and given my situation, pay them to do so. On top of all that, the therapy is $100 per hour. Right? Oh, fund-raising is not an option.

I desperately want to walk with less assistance than I currently use. I'm anxious and in many respects I'd venture to say that money is no object, but is Project Walk something I should be considering at this stage in the game?

Can someone in a similar situation provide some insight into their experience with Project Walk? Thank you very much!

Neuroworx

JW
    You might want to compare Neuroworx and Sci Step.
    Neuroworx has an underwater treadmill, a body weight supported treadmill,. FES bike, vibration plates.... The physician and PT who run it have extensive experience in SCI recovery. Insurance will pay for their programs and they have a tax exempt donation format also. It is a smaller program, but very good. The cost of living is inexpensive and the National Ability Center in Park City facilitates wonderful programs - handcycling, rugby, skiing....

JW where do you do therapy in MA? ( if you don't mind me asking) I agree we don't have a good agressive therapy program in the boston area, project walk sounds wonderful but I also would agree the mom posts--look around to see what's best for you.

You also might want to check out Awakenings Health Institute
    http://www.awakeningshealthinstitute.org/. They have a program comparable to Project Walk but 30% less expensive.

JW;

Project Walk expenses will all be "out of pocket", i.e., no insurance coverage. The north county area of San Diego is expensive. However, if money is no problem, then consider the plus side: wonderful weather, an outstanding and large facility with excellent trainers who work solely with SCI clients. They know their stuff. There is also another, equally effective but more intimate sized rehab, Awakenings Health Institute (my son is a client) a few miles away. The San Diego area also has programs for the disabled for sailing, surfing, and paragliding.

My family also is familiar with Neuroworx. We highly recommend their program as well and because the founder, Jan, is a PT they do have certification as a rehab facility that insurance companies may pay for. A caveat to all who seek insurance to pay for intensive exercise therapy is that most plans have strict limits that fall far short of what SCI clients consider "intensive." Nonethelss, Salt Lake City is less expensive and though the winters are cold, the climate is much more moderate than, say, Boston.

I have no experience with SCI-Step but hear that they also have a good program. Identify your needs, figure out where you want to live, even if it is just temporarily, visit and assess and go for it.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

John, or anyone else ...

Are these programs just for Incmpletes or acute injuries who are hoping to recover more function or improve gait etc?

I'm 9 years post and complete but I've always wanted to get my ass kicked into shape by programs like these. Maximise what I do have and possibly discover one or two weak muscles that are underused.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Our program is open to anyone who has the right attitude and passes all the medical/physical requirements (bone scan, non vent dependent, etc.).
    Last edited by Snowman; 08-04-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

JW,
    I waited to long to go, the sooner the better. You end up with a pile of bad habits that make things better in the short run but hurt quality recovery.
    PW is worth the money, time, and trouble of going across the country, if not for the physical, then the mental improvements.
    As time wore on, I forgot about living, PW gave me confidence again.
    On the surface, the program and exercise appears simple, but its the sequence thats important. I hope ive helped.
    Dave

Wow, I never heard of Neuroworx. I looked at the website and it looks awesome. Has anyone here done there program? I wonder what insurance will cover. For us, nothing. We have Kaiser....

There are so many places now my head is spinning. Everything is going to come down to insurance.