Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat and mental health

heat and mental health

edit...
    do any of you literally STOP urine output when you sweat?

soaking 6 extra absorbency briefs in an afternoon with sweat scared me.

I am wondering if any of you know what the first signs of dehydration are in the mind?

Does it cause you to be bummed out?

I have been drinking plenty, but my pain meds are up and urine output is nearly zero.

I feel like jumpping off the nearest bridge too.
    (I won't, but I crashed and burned last night emotionally. I wonder if it is due to dehydration???)
    Last edited by thenose; 08-03-2006 at 01:52 PM.

TN, I think I read in here, but not sure...where due to an sci'er's inability
    to regulate hot/cold, they got a prescription from the doc that it was
    medically necessary (and why) for his health to have one installed.

I'd run this by your doc and your ins. company.
    Sounds like a long shot, but hey..give it your best shot!
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

oops
    (bump)

Hey, nose. The heat is killing me here. Was 106 in this part of the city the last two days ("only" 97 officially).

Drinking more water. Staying under a/c. In shade when outdoors. In direct sun minimally during hottest parts of day. Changing my dosing schedule on ditropan because it seems to make me feel hotter, affects my dehydration threshhold. (At least feels that way.)

Had several appointments in extreme heat yesterday. In and out of car all day. Miserably hot.

Crashed hard last night. Was exhausted. Slept nine hours straight. Unlike me.

The heat makes me feel worse, seems to make everything harder.

If your urine outputs are less, drink more h2o. Glad you can sweat, but up the water intake and see if it helps.

Maybe watch for signs of a uti. Feel better soon.

Here's to cooler temps for everyone.

Thanks.
    I have had some recent events that made me bummed anyway, but this was over the top-nasty-really bad bad bad sorrow-nothing-will-ever-be-good-again-life-sucks-and-I-want-to-die kind of depression wave.
    It has to be the heat.
    God, I hope it is the heat.

Checked on the UTI---nothing bad thus far in that dept.
    No fever I can feel or see on the meter.
    Took today and just stayed in the bedroom with the A/C put in the window finally. The dogs all seem to want to be with me. ??

Head is foggy though. Still sweating/shaking/feeling faint, but not as much sweating as before.

I guess I will see how it goes tonight.
    I would pay 500.00 not to feel like this right now.
    I would rather have an open sore, the runs...you just about name it.
    Ugh.
    Hmmm, I wonder if you could snort prozac??

Quote Originally Posted by thenose
    Hmmm, I wonder if you could snort prozac??
    It would probably make your nose bleed and cause you to roll naked through the local mall.......flailing your hands and yelling. LOL

Cheer up. I hope things get better for you soon.

Heat makes me miserable too. I don't pee as much either.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Wow Nose. If you're feeling bummed and hot and miserable? Not a good combo. At all. Sorry to hear you're feeling down and physically bad, too.

Know you're not alone. I think every person on the board has felt depressed on a semi-regular basis. We're here for each other. That includes you.

Vent as necessary and helpful. We'll listen.

Glad to hear your a/c is in the window in your b/r. Hope that and your canine companions help you feel better.

**Hugs**

Thenose,

That puppy is precious. I love your avatar! There are two things that make me gush: cute men and cute dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by thenose
    edit...
    do any of you literally STOP urine output when you sweat?

soaking 6 extra absorbency briefs in an afternoon with sweat scared me.

I am wondering if any of you know what the first signs of dehydration are in the mind?

Does it cause you to be bummed out?

I have been drinking plenty, but my pain meds are up and urine output is nearly zero.

I feel like jumpping off the nearest bridge too.
    (I won't, but I crashed and burned last night emotionally. I wonder if it is due to dehydration???)
    Thenose,

It is hard to tell from your description. If you are dehydrated, i.e. don't have enough fluids, your urine output decreases. Dehydration can occur from too much sweating. But what I am puzzled by is why you are sweating so much. If it is from the heat, you need to get yourself into an air conditioned place. There are other ways to cool yourself, such as a fan.

Dehydration can cause all sorts of mental changes. The answer is to hydrate yourself adequately. If your dehydration is due to the heat and oversweating, the answer is to cool yourself and drink more fluids. By the way, you should be drinking not just water but also fluids that replace the ions that you are losing in your sweat. You should be drinking something like Gatorade and not just plain water.

Do you have a source of increased pain? Your statement that your urine output is "nearly zero" is worrisome. If you are indeed drinking enough fluids and your urine output is nil, this suggests that something is going on with your kidneys, i.e. a bladder or kidney infection. In my opinion, you need to get yourself cooled down and hydrated and, if the problem does not resolve, get to an emergency room and rule out the possibility of a kidney problem.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 08-04-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Test reply