View Poll Results: Did your first chair suck?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, wrong measurements

74 35.58%
  • Yes, wrong style

29 13.94%
  • Yes, it was a dinosaur

63 30.29%
  • No, it was perfect

42 20.19%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Did your first chair suck?

oh yea...suck aint the word. quickie gpv, 16x18, 70 degree front angle, 2 inches dump, jay2 back.

i know this is why my back is screwed, my body is trained to lean forward instead of sittin up straight, i tore off my big toe nail from my feet stickin out too far. i cannot even begin to count the ways that chair sucked.

I was measured slouching for my 1st chair, so it came with the seat being too long, so I couldnt sit with my hips up in it. Otherwise it was ok and great source of fancy parts to put on the chair I measured and ordered myself. You should have seen the loaner turd I was stuck with for a few months (why is it that when you self order you get it in 20 days, but the pro's take months even w/insurance approval?). This turd was an Invalidcare POS (I forget the real model designation ), swing away footrests at something like a 50 degree angle, plastic spoke wheels w/solid tires, and downright nasty. At least the PT was very apologetic when she introduced that heap to me (I was using a TiLite TR in rehab, a little small, but I liked it)

My first chair was a tank! A folding Rolls that weighed in around 58 pounds. I spent my first two years at college tooling around in that beast. I don't know how I pushed the places I did. Have to say tho, I could down hill in that puppy like nobody's business. It would do a great powerslide when I locked up one wheel.

After that was a Quadra for about 15 years. Didn't want to get out of it. Now I'm in a Quickie GP and I like it best of all. Just recently broke the back on it. That was a first.
    Cheers,

Gc.
    "Life is full of froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone.
    Kindness for another's trouble, courage for your own."

8% perfect? 92% over all retard/rip-off Health care sux. Devo people love this, so Devo people can retard SCI.

Don't mean to hijack this topic, and perhaps I am naive. Do the CC moderators take a topic like this, and the ton of good feedback it generates, and write the various OT boards or federations with this info? In rehab, I got to see so many OTs that were fresh out of school who learned on the job that it made me shake my head whenever I had to ask them a question because I knew they had no training whatsoever to answer me with.

It would be sad for this type of information to not get addressed through an umbrella organization that is charged with certifying all these OT schools and programs.

I have a quickie folding chair and it works fine for me, but I haven't experienced any other chairs because im fairly new. Are they like the bottom of the barrel?

No such system exists, felieh. We're not scientific but I reckon our poll results are more real world than the material an OT program uses. It's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    IYou should have seen the loaner turd I was stuck with for a few months (why is it that when you self order you get it in 20 days, but the pro's take months even w/insurance approval?). This turd was an Invalidcare POS (I forget the real model designation ), swing away footrests at something like a 50 degree angle, plastic spoke wheels w/solid tires, and downright nasty.
    Ha - when I was 12 my loaner was an old heavy E&J! My first chair was perfect .. never had another one like it. I suppose in the rehab centre they were used to ordering properly .. not so in the medical stores. This chair I have now is the worst one .. I have to wait 3 more years or buy one on my own (even with my own insurance). I'll have to see if I can find a picture somewhere.

my first chair was perfect, one of the first quickies sold 3digit ser#. havnt had a chair fit right since.

currently have a ti, my next one will be quikie or anything but ti

Just graduating to my first manual chair you guys are giving me some great ideas on what not to get. Thanks
    Last edited by loco; 08-03-2006 at 12:21 PM.