Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term catheterisation

Long term catheterisation

Hi there I am new to this site I must say I have had a good look around it and I am impressed.
    I have been catheterised for three years and I have just read that when you have an indwelling catheter for long term use your bladder shrinks how long does it take for this to happen.
    And if and when it does is there a problem with this as long as you have a catheter.
    If after three years my bladder has shrunk what would the result be if it was removed am I right in thinking that one would be totaly incontinent of urine.
    I would not have my catheter removed I have got used to it now it would be like having a lim removed it has become part of me now.
    I use a belly bag so it is on constant drainage which I have also read is not good for bladder shinkage.
    Mnay thanks
    steve

I do not know how long it takes, but it has been found that if you take a bladder antispasmodic, such as Detrol, Ditropan, etc, you will have less shrinkage.
    By the way, were you on Bladder Aide a while back, as I we used to email back and forth.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

The bladder is like a ball with muscle around it that contracts and relaxes. Like any muscle, if you don't use it, it tends to not work as well. The indwelling catheter is a constant draining system so that bladder doesn't stretch and contract i.e. working its muscle.The time would vary for each individual but most likely even several months could affect it.
    There are numerous medications that can assist the bladder with not contracting and also having a more powerful contraction.

CWO

ive wondered about this too. will bladder shrinkage cause any problems if you plan on never changing from an indwelling?

ive had an SP for about 4 yrs now an one thing that scares me is that......when the nurses are changing mine.....if its out 10 minutes or more, i start feelin AD symptoms comin on.

Welcome Steve. For what it's worth, I've had a suprapubic catheter for about 11 years now and my bladder has shrunken considerably. I take 15 mg of Ditropan a day and I think my bladder holds around 50 cc before I start getting dysreflexic. I've had Botox injections twice in the past year and a half and have what my urologist calls "a touchy bladder". If my catheter isn't taped down just so, my blood pressure will rise. If the balloon in the indwelling catheter is inflated much over 5 cc, that can cause me problems as well. As of lately, I've been prone to quite a few UTI's and am now changing my catheter quite often due to increased sediment in my urine. I try to drink over 100 ounces of water a day.

Given all that I would intermittent cath if I had use of my hands and could do so, but since I can't and have had it for so long, I can relate to your feeling of it being a physical part of you.

Long term catheterisation

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    Welcome Steve. For what it's worth, I've had a suprapubic catheter for about 11 years now and my bladder has shrunken considerably. I take 15 mg of Ditropan a day and I think my bladder holds around 50 cc before I start getting dysreflexic. I've had Botox injections twice in the past year and a half and have what my urologist calls "a touchy bladder". If my catheter isn't taped down just so, my blood pressure will rise. If the balloon in the indwelling catheter is inflated much over 5 cc, that can cause me problems as well. As of lately, I've been prone to quite a few UTI's and am now changing my catheter quite often due to increased sediment in my urine. I try to drink over 100 ounces of water a day.

Given all that I would intermittent cath if I had use of my hands and could do so, but since I can't and have had it for so long, I can relate to your feeling of it being a physical part of you.
    Hi thanks for that I too had a supra pubic catheter for three months but I had so many problems with it I went to the doctors one day and told him to take it out I wasin so much pain.
    I had an indwelling foley put back in and it's staying no more messing around it suits me so why mess.
    Steve

Long term catheterization

I am a T4 para (lenallen's wife) and have had an indwelling catheter for about 15 years. My husband is a physician so he had been changing it every 2 weeks without complications. About 1-2 years ago, we noticed that he had to start changing it weekly, or else it would frequently clog.
    We also noticed that each time he does change it "tons" of white particles come out right after the change.

In the past few months we've noticed frequent clogging, even with changing the catheter weekly.

My urologist explained that with time the bladder has shrunk to such a small size that the balloon holding the catheter in the bladder, takes up most of the bladder space. As a result, these particles get stuck in the small space surrounding the balloon, and can't get out.

The urologist showed us how to irrigate the catheter, which I am now doing every other day, and the problem is solved. I am able to irrigate it independently, using sterile technique, while I am sitting in my chair.

You might want to talk to your MD about this. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have had a foley for over 20 years relatively problem free. 35 cc is about the max my bladder will hold before I start sweating.

Blog Entries
    I've used a foley for almost 10 years. My bladder will still hold about 200cc. I do not take any medications. If I get a kink and my urine backs up, I've had as much as 300-350 cc come out when I correct the problem. But when this occurs, my bladded is distended such that it sticks out when I lie down.
    I drink a LOT of water and juice. No caffeine.
    I only change mine every 4-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I've used a foley for almost 10 years. My bladder will still hold about 200cc. I do not take any medications. If I get a kink and my urine backs up, I've had as much as 300-350 cc come out when I correct the problem. But when this occurs, my bladded is distended such that it sticks out when I lie down.
    I drink a LOT of water and juice. No caffeine.
    I only change mine every 4-6 weeks.
    Capngimp

Whats your secret with staying UTI free. Please share!