Thread: Yeast Infection

Yeast Infection

I am thinking that the red spot on my tailbone or where ever, could be a yeast infection. Is there any way of knowing for sure before I try anything irritating. I know yeast will turn the skin red and may have some blister bumps. My care taker is not giving me much feedback on whether there are small blisters but she says it is about 1 inch round and it cracked and bled monday. It could just be red still from not yet healing. I am not sure how big the red area was to start with. She had said it was getting better at one time. Now she may be forgetting the fact it may take some time for the redness to go away. Is there a way to tell if it is indeed a yeast problem. If so, then what are some things to do to get rid of it.

David, If you're not sure what it is, and your caregiver isn't giving you enough feedback, it's best to get to a doc and have it looked at. Even if it is a yeast infection, you'll most likely need a prescription cream for it; and if it's a beginning pressure sore, totally different treatment.

The rule of thumb in our house is when in doubt, ask the docs!

David65 - Marmalady has given you good advice. I urge you to have this checked by your doctor. If it is 1" in diameter, red and open, you are at risk for further problems. An open wound, especially in the coccygeal area can very easily become contaminated with stool and/or infected. If an area is reddened, there is the great possibility that a pressure area is starting. You should definitely stay off of the area, i.e. lie on side or partial side-lying to avoid pressure on the site.

Do you have a SCI doctor? I would urge you to make an appointment to be seen as soon as possible. CRF

It could be a pressure sore or a pilonidal cyst. Go to the doctor!

What is a pilonidal cyst?

A pilonidal cyst or sinus is an abscess (localized collection of pus) or a chronic draining sinus (canal or passage leading to an abscess) located in the opening between the buttocks muscles. This cyst may have a deep cavity containing hair and may be without symptoms unless it becomes infected.

How is a pilonidal cyst treated?

Treatment consists of antibiotics if the area is infected. After the infection is cleared, a day surgery procedure to remove the cyst is performed. The cyst may be a simple abscess or may be draining from sinus tracts that need to be closed. The process of raising the borders of the emptied cyst and stitching them to form a pouch is called marsupialization. The interior of the pouch then empties the collection of pus and gradually closes. Several weeks of packing the pouch with gauze is needed to collect the pus while the pouch closes.