Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss

Question Weight loss

I hit that damn stationary bike 5-6 times a week for 35 minutes, lift, and eat healthy. I've tried low-carb, low-fat, you name it, and I can't really lose fat. I've also cut as much sugar from my diet as humanly possible. I don't eat much of anything in the evening. The latest thing I've done is work on reduced portion sizes and reduced calories. It seems that when I do one of the above diet changes, I'll notice some results at first, then the amount of visible fat goes back to where it was before.

I have the ever present Budda gut (which I guess I can't control), have some fat on my chest and some under my arms, and I can't get rid of it. The only time I looked semi-decent was a couple of summers ago when my schedule allowed me to lift hard three times a week for couple hours and hit the exercise bike 5 or so times a week.

Jeff - I think you're a T-10, so you're just a little lower than me, but your body fat is a little lower than mine when I wrestled in high school when I was working out HARD! I guess all of our bodies and degrees of injury are different, so that factors into it, plus genetics I suppose.

So, musclebeach and fuente - what do you guys do to keep your body fat so low? How would you recommend weight loss? I'm sick of looking like this and have the will and determination to try anything.
    Last edited by Rock517; 07-31-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Wow I feel your pain! How annoying is that??!!

I hope you find a good reply here! I admire people who make good efforts to sustain their health and fitness!
    Last edited by lune14; 07-30-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lune14
    Wow I feel your pain! How annoying is that??!!

I hope you find a good reply here! I admire people who make good efforts to sustain their health and fitness!
    I hope so too... I've tried everything, but my efforts just are not being rewarded and I'm sick of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock517
    I hope so too... I've tried everything, but my efforts just are not being rewarded and I'm sick of it!
    Just prepare your main meal as you usually would. Then cut it in half (no cheating) and have that as your second and last meal of the day. No snacking at all. It's all about portion control IMO. In this way you only have to prepare one meal each day, refrigerate the second half and just microwave it for a couple of minutes. If you start making your main meal bigger than usual then that's just defeating the purpose. A little self-control.

And if you want, up your exercise routine a little bit. It's no secret.... calories in versus calories burned.

That's I how stay fit and trim.... well at my current 20 lb overweight self. But I do absolutely no exercising at all. A little dog walking and fixing things around the house.... after I break them worse three times, curse a lot and then get frustrated before success! And worrying about things that you have absolutely no control over helps a lot too.... causes stress and that's good for weight reduction. But bad for just about every other aspect of your life!

Drink a lot of water too... something that I hardly ever do but is healthy for you.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    And worrying about things that you have absolutely no control over helps a lot too.... causes stress and that's good for weight reduction.
    Sometimes this can go completely the opposite way .. as it has in my case. I don't see a fat smiley so I'll leave it at that ... lol.

Bump for musclebeach for when he gets home.

Back in the day when I was having a hard time

I balloned to 245 lbs. I dropped 50 lbs. in 45 days. By reducing my mouth from eating and exercise. I'm currently 170 lbs. 5'9 and pretty toned for a inc. quad.

I saw my reflection in a window at College. That's how I got motivated. True Story
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

50 lbs in 45 days??? Wow, that's a lot! What kind of calorie intake did you use and how much exercise? How long have you kept it off? I would be happy to lose just 20lbs in 45 days

You know, I have had the most unusual experience.

I have been losing weight, though from your picture I was no where near as svelt as you to start with.

The thing is, that I've been eating brown rice. Huge amounts of it. Just huge, to help me cope with recent stress.

I have a bit of brain damage and I don't organize things very well.

What I want to say is that I think that certain foods can maybe cause a swelling at cell level, that adds up to a lot of extra weight.

I've also been reading a lot of positive affirmations and imagining myself looking the way I want.

If you want to take a look at what I've been doing:
    http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/aWorkingWell-APowerfulVision.html

I've lost 22 pounds in 3 months. But as I say, I was not so lovely thin as you to start with.
    http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/Fingernails.html
    Your fingernails reflect your health --
    Learn some warning signs --
    Karen Kline

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Sometimes this can go completely the opposite way .. as it has in my case. I don't see a fat smiley so I'll leave it at that ... lol.
    I have to agree. For me, stress makes me go metabolically catatonic.

I have a rather long thing written on my web page about how I'm losing weight, that talks about this idea.

To me, the positive affirmations help a lot.

As an aside, my user name is Not supposed to be my email address.

http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/Fingernails.html
    Your fingernails reflect your health --
    Learn some warning signs --
    Karen Kline