Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Clinical Trials

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i dont think much about first generation. my opinion of first generation showed very limited results. 2nd and 3rd will be eye openers. we should be discussing results next summer.
    If that's true, I'll be buying a bottle of bourbon and driving to Beaumont to baptize my liver. Then maybe over to St. Charles for some gambling and strippers.

The McKay-Sim OEG trial in Brisbane, Australia will finish up late this year or early the next. I'm not sure if anything's planned after that.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    There are some clinical trials starting and there are some that have already started. Please help me update this list. These are the ones that are supposed to start-up in 2007. Those groups already in the treatment phase are not included (Lima, Novosibirsk, Huang [fetal olfactory cells], Cells4Health, etc.) since these are not clinical trials, but active treatments.

1) Kierstad, USA, hESC, acute only
    2) Huang Hongyun, China, combination therapy, chronics
    3) Wise Young, China, combination therapy, acutes and chronics
    4) Darwin Prockop, USA, adult stem cells, acute only
    5) Borgens, USA, electromagnetic fields/inosine
    6) Raisman, UK, OEC

Please help me update this list. Groups such as Neuraxo-Biotec (cordaneurin [acutes] and chordachron [chronics]), Novartis (Nogo), Aventis (HP184) and others need to be listed but I know little about the current status of these trials.
    http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/d...=1152254829000

In pre-clinical studies Cordaneurin® has already demonstrated its high efficacy in extensive recovery of sensory and motor function. Cordaneurin® will enter clinical trials in 2006. As a second application Neuraxo will take up the challenge to develop a therapy also for chronic injured patients. This cure called CordaChronTM will include additional components to Cordaneurin® such as the patent protected nerve growth stimulating factor, the chemokine SDF-1gamma. First clinical trials with CordaChronTM are expected in 2008.

Maybe another list that could have been as useful could have been "basic research 2007"?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Maybe another list that could have been as useful could have been "basic research 2007"?
    Leif,

The reality is that's where the state of chronic SCI research is. At least there is research taking place. There is still a long way to go.

This post is very inspiring to me, I didn't realize that there were so many clinical trials already running and starting this soon. Especially because some are going into 2nd and 3rd generation. I wish there were more targeting chronics. I was under the impression that we would not get to this point for 4-5 years. I'm glad we are further along than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Leif,

The reality is that's where the state of chronic SCI research is. At least there is research taking place. There is still a long way to go.
    Right, my question was basically, how come you have clinical trials for us without basic research (and don't reply this long way to go all the time )?... Don't we (chronics) need basic research first? How loooong is your basic research list?

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i dont think much about first generation. my opinion of first generation showed very limited results. 2nd and 3rd will be eye openers. we should be discussing results next summer.
    y is that? isnt the therapy the same through all the phases? do tharapies make it past first gen if the results are limited?

Professor Raisman

I got an email today from the British Neurological Research Trust and they state that there are no plans for a clinical trial on spinal cord injury and that there is not sufficient information to justify one. They may carry out a pilot safety study on OECs in fresh brachial plexus injuries next year, depending on accumulating sufficient data on these cells before they start.

So, strike Raisman off the list it seems.