Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filipino Caregivers?

$1500 a piece, up front??? Don't fall for that nonsense.....it's a scam. How can you possibly hire someone without seeing them, without interviewing them and without checking their references?

Another protection under the Live in Caregiver program in Canada is that the sponsored caregiver must work/stay for you for 2 years before becoming eligible for citizenship. If they violate the contract or other laws of Canada, they are deported.

This has it's pros and cons. On one hand the sponor gets stable, hopefully competent, care. On the other hand, some sponsors take advantage of the vulnerable status of the sponsoree and violate our min standards / labour laws.

None of this really applies or helps you though my American friend.

All in all - I say stick to Craigslist and be very thourough with your interviews.

Caregiverlistings.com is for Canadians, but I'm sure if you do a search on google you'll find some agencies that facilitate to the US. I also forgot to mention that for anyone who is thinking about hiring a foreign caregiver, there should be NO COST... It is illegal for any agency to charge you, agencies make there money by charging the foreign caregivers. The only time you should pay an agency is if you hire someone who is currently living and working in the US. If you ever speak with an agency and they ask for money while the caregivers are NOT currently in the US, get as much info as u can from them and report them to the police or government.

Blog Entries

PW it sounds like Canada has a good program for obtaining

Quote Originally Posted by powerwheels View Post
    Caregiverlistings.com is for Canadians, but I'm sure if you do a search on google you'll find some agencies that facilitate to the US. I also forgot to mention that for anyone who is thinking about hiring a foreign caregiver, there should be NO COST... It is illegal for any agency to charge you, agencies make there money by charging the foreign caregivers. The only time you should pay an agency is if you hire someone who is currently living and working in the US. If you ever speak with an agency and they ask for money while the caregivers are NOT currently in the US, get as much info as u can from them and report them to the police or government.
    caregivers. What recourse do you have if you find that they're not working out, pre/post 2 yr mark?

Tim C,
    If you are not satisfied with the foreign caregiver and they don't meet your expectations, you can break your contract. Just talk with your agency, they will help you find a replacement. When you're searching through agencies, ask them what their policies are about terminating contracts. Luckily I've never had any problems with any of my caregivers. So far my caregivers are so appreciative that I hired them that they try there hardest to keep me healthy and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkwood View Post
    Has anyone heard of Filipino women moving here for caregiving work?
    im a filipina and looking for work just arrived 1st wk of August.. im currently in LA. =)

Amy 1607

Amy1607, please feel free to contact my wife regarding a position. She just placed an advertisement today on craiglist Memphis TN. Just google that and the advertisement is titled live-in caregiver.

My wife is filipina and her dad is in need of assistance. Check craiglists Memphis TN for more info.