Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Assistance dog (m)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    why not
    I bought a gentle leader Betsy because Trooper had one. Just ordered a harness/vest and patches today. OMG, this is starting to feel real!!! He is due to be shipped via air to us next Thursday. ((( jangled nerves!))))
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    I bought a gentle leader Betsy because Trooper had one. Just ordered a harness/vest and patches today. OMG, this is starting to feel real!!! He is due to be shipped via air to us next Thursday. ((( jangled nerves!))))
    I cant wait to see pictures.......
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hi. Zilla and family, congratulations on your dog. I do not know much about the "breed" other than I heard they are good and a "new" concept. I think I saw one on the street the other day. Do they get tall? well, the picture looks cute!

I guess I asked about the gentle leader because I've seen other dogs with them, and my dog wears one. Maybe she was concerned about the neck?

Zilla, I know you want to make sure everything goes right with the dog, but I think in the beginning esp since its flying on a plane to a new strange (at first) place, that just to try to establish a bond with the dog is most important as it may be so confused at its surroundings, environment etc. Just to play with the dog, and work on basic obedience skills. Is someone coming with the dog or by itself? Using The gentle leader will likely take time, unless its allready acquainted with one. After a while of the dog settling its nerves, I would introduce it with treats by showing it to the dog, letting him sleep with it, placing it on his snout only then positive reinforcement, praise, and a treat. etc. I have no idea if Labradoodles use one? I know ppl with various dog breeds that use them.

How big is your pup going to get? Wow, what a big undertaking! You guys can do it. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to pictures. Talk to you soon. Hey Chad and little one!