Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions for quads

yup.

this poster's injury is new and functional level will not be known for a while, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    yup.

this poster's injury is new and functional level will not be known for a while, imo.
    true.

Im c5/6 incomplete. My left hand has had full return, while my right fingers do curl in a little. I recommend wearing a night splint, it gives your fingers a stretch over night. If i don;t wear mine I wake up with really tight fingers almost curled into a fist sometimes. I also do a lot of finger stretches during the day.
    Does everyone else find hand exercises extremely frustrating?

[QUOTE=pasquale]I am a c6-7 incomplete one year post and I have a few questions for other quads.

I'm a c6 complete and agree I was still using splints to hold a fork! at a year post and was in rehab for 11 months!
    You'll be doing alot at c7

1. Are your fingers curled and if not what did you or your therapist do to straighten them out? Any excersises or equipment?

Curled. originally straight but OT made flexion gloves in rehab to curl them so I could better pick things up (25+ years ago) I "straighten them out when crampy but the are permantly curled.

2. Do you intermitten cath, use a foley or have a supra pubic cath? How long do you go between caths?
    self cath thru belly button stoma Mithronoff and augmented bladdar

3. How do you transfer onto the bed, shower chair or car?

sliding board, hoyer lift with PCA, drive from chair

4. Do you turn yourself at night? Sometimes Do you wear boots at night? Yes, the one sweetieheart wears to save my ankle from red spot
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

we're all diff, so be ready for a load of answers

1) flat hands
    2) sp
    3) trans into bed w/ trapeeze......trans out, raise bed scoot off onto chair...in van, scoot to/from power driver seat
    4)sleep prone usually, but can turn if i have too....no boots

i'm c-6-7 5 yrs......

1. Are your fingers curled and if not what did you or your therapist do to straighten them out?

both are curled somewhat. right more than the left. the curl definitely helps with daily living. if they were straight an loose i couldn't pick up NOTHIN.

2. Do you intermitten cath, use a foley or have a supra pubic cath? How long do you go between caths?

suprapubic....frees me from worrying about cathing and how much i drink. which is tons of water, lol.

sliding board or push up an hop.

4. Do you turn yourself at night?

yes, no problem at all. tie a belt or something to your bed post if you need something to grab onto.

C 6/7 incomplete four years post

Fingers and hands almost normal but middle finger on both hands still numb.

I do intermitten cath as I still get that going to pee my pants feeling when I need to void

Transfer from chair to bed with no assistance, transfer from chair to chair with no assistance

Transfer to shower bench with a slide board

Transfer from car to chair with slide board depending on the type of car

Can roll over and over with out a problem

c5/6 used a tennis ball along time, dont want hands to flat or in a fist so tinodesis works proper, i never turn unless skin starts breaking down or doesnt blanch
    There's
    No
    Place

i'm c-7-c8 29 years

1. Are your fingers curled and if not what did you or your therapist do to straighten them out?
    Unless you have regained full hand function, why would you want straight fingers?? How are you going to grab, write, type etc??? Straight fingers not a good idea.

2. Do you intermitten cath, use a foley or have a supra pubic cath? Leg bag.

Lift myself

4. Do you turn yourself at night? Lay prone and no turning. Turn by UE strength as desired
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

I am a c6-7 incomplete two years post. however, i function as a c8-t1.
    1. Are your fingers curled and if not what did you or your therapist do to straighten them out? Any excersises or equipment?

no, they aren't. i straightened them out on the bed rails in the hospital three or four days after. i have use of my left hand normally but weak. my other hand has a few fingers that move.

i intermittent cath usually 5-7 hours. i can feel when i need to go though. usually people go 4-5 hours.

i have some video on how i get on and off the bed. i do the same for the showerchair but i use a transfer board just to be safe.

i use a transfer board for the car too. i put my feet in first, then slide on the board till i get in.

here's the link to the vids. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=63669&page=9

4. Do you turn yourself at night? Do you wear boots at night?

i do turn myself, and i don't wear boots. i stretch every day and i walk with braces. those boots are horribly uncomfortable.

hope this helps!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com