Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions for quads

A few questions for quads

I am a c6-7 incomplete one year post and I have a few questions for other quads.
    1. Are your fingers curled and if not what did you or your therapist do to straighten them out? Any excersises or equipment?

2. Do you intermitten cath, use a foley or have a supra pubic cath? How long do you go between caths?

3. How do you transfer onto the bed, shower chair or car?

4. Do you turn yourself at night? Do you wear boots at night?

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe more tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your time spent answering my questions.

I'm C5/6 ASIA C 5 yrs post

1. left hand is curled some, they made a splint to wear at night to keep it from curling more. I don't use it anymore, although I should.
    2. i have been interm cath for about one year now, it's awesome, I'm free! 3-4 hours depending on how much I drink. I also wear a foley at night with an overnight bag.
    3. independent slide board from power chair to bed and back, nurse assists with transfers to shower chair, and I have a van with a lowered floor and ramp. You are probably more independent at transfers than me.
    4. I sleep on my left side all night every night with body pillow between legs, no boots, just good range of motion and standing frame.

I can expand on any of these if you like....
    Last edited by redbandit; 07-26-2006 at 11:14 PM.

hi ! I'm c6-c7 complete.
    1) fingers are curled and you should keep it that way. it's gonna help pick up things.
    2) i do caths when i feel i have to go which is about every 3 to 6 hours.
    3) just do a push up and transfer.
    4) i can turn in bed when i feel like changing position. i don't wear boots at night but i strech every now and then.
    Shit Happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wheels
    1) fingers are curled and you should keep it that way.
    you don't want your hand to close tho, it's not very useful then.

Consider that all things are possible im a c-6 incomplete asia c. 8 months post. also, they thought that id never get funtional control of my right hand but at present i have full function of both hands and believe me its alot of work and therapy, from picking things up to tieing my shoes. i ignored atino grip and stretched my hand out. The x-box is great therapy especially halo 2, before the injury i was a video game nut, and not being able to use my hands motivated me into fighting for my life to get my hands back. I cath every 4 hours or if i feel i need to go as i have gained that feeling back. Hey anything is possible, my right hand was dead for about 1 month after injury then i just would look at my hand and tell it to move it flickered, soon after i could move my finger but didnt know i was unless looking at them, my left came back 3 days after injury, heck yes i could use the remote. My right hand at the moment has full dexterity and a good grip, but lifting weights helps you gain grip because you have to get up to being able to hold that amount. Srry to go on, im just proud of my hands, dont let anyone tell you a quad cant become a para.

sorry, you're new. a true quad cannot become a para. not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman
    Srry to go on, im just proud of my hands, dont let anyone tell you a quad cant become a para.
    No one here is saying that (well, until cass did before I finished my post). Two people can have seemingly identical injuries, however one may have significant recovery while the other may have little, despite following identical rehab routines. A lot of the difference can be attributed to the nature of the injury to the individuals spinal cord. In any case, congratulations on your recovery thus far, I hope that it continues. It most likely will considering how quickly you've regained function thus far.

cass, do you mean someone who has been a quad for x years then becomes a para, or someone who sustains a cervical injury then walks out of the hospital a month later? People do obviously regain huge amounts of function, what you call them can become a little dicy.
    Last edited by redbandit; 07-27-2006 at 12:47 AM.

lol red....guess i just did! but i said a "true quad."

C6-7 20 years post

1. My right got fuction back so it's straight, but my left is curled and it helps me do some things.
    2. I have a gizmo annd legbag
    3. I transfer to my chair, my shower bench, my raised toilet seat and bed no problem.
    4. I sleep prone all night. zzzzzzzzz
    5. I have a strap and stretch my legs every morning to combat severe spasms.

that was hilarious, what are the odds! by true quad I guess you mean chronic? that I agree with...