Thread: elbows

elbows

Quick qeustion...I am c5/6. i'm 6 mos post...i have had some troubles with my elbows because i lean on them sooooo much. brusies, cuts, fluid build up, the whole sha-bang.they( everyone i talk to about this) all try to tell me to wear elbow pads! ahhh, not happening...maybe around the sink while i dry my hair and bang them at least 50 million times in the process. but not as a normal everyday everywhere thing.does anyone else have this problem? if so any advice?

live...love...laugh

HI, Amanda,

Your question may be better answered in the 'Care Forum. i'm going to close the topic here, and copy it over to that forum; you can see your topic here:

I found myself leaning on my arm rests too much, and rubbing them raw. I have no feeling there, so I didn't know I was doing it. I removed the arm rests, so now I can't lean on them. My sittinig balance has also improved so I don't need to lean on things anymore.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

always, always, always protect your elbows. problems are very difficult to heal there.

i tend to use my right and lean on my left elbow, so i would wear an albow pad under my business shirt at work. i also have a small square of high density foam at my workstation, dining room table and bathroom sink, all the places i'd abuse my elbows.

there's no way i would do without these.

removing chair arm rests may seem like a good idea, but resting your arms on arm rests decreases the pressure on your ass by a surprising amount, something like 10-20%, no arm rests also promotes muscular fatigue/overload of the postural muscles and myofascial pain/dysfunction

i'm guilty of the arm rest thing, but after 15 years i think i need them, though they can get in the way at times, it's a trade off

Amanda - as much as you don't want to take some steps to protect your elbows, crags has made some very good points! You will need your arms and elbows for a long time. Prevention of injury is of utmost importance. You could try some smaller, less obvious padding; this could be covered with a 3/4 length or long sleeve blouse. I would urge you to use something such as cocoa butter as a lubricant to keep the skin soft and flexible....avoid having them become dry, calloused and with cracks. CRF

My nurse made 2 little elbow "pillows" for my arm rests with velcro straps. So far they have worked out well, no red elbows.

Cynthia