Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Hello Nic,

It is my understanding that Nuance does not consider DNS 6 to be upgradable so it looks like a great deal to me for $99!

Quote Originally Posted by JayColorado
    I use my mouse (Kensington trackball) to navigate. I'm curious if you have tried using a mouse like this. The combination of a trackball mouse and the Dragon software works incredibly well for me.

What is the difference between the C50 and the C60?, just curious to know because I have got the latter, in fact I have got two of them.

I don't think I would use mine all the time on the computer. I use it more on skype. From a quadriplegics point of view, it can be a tad fiddly putting it in and out of its docking station. I have found that plantronics 500 and 400 works just as well, and if you drop them, at least you can pick them up again.

I also have a number of Kensington trackballs. Absolutely fantastic product. I would encourage anyone with limited finger movements to go for one of these.

Helpful extensions for Firefox + Dragon Nat'Spk

For Firefox + Dragon Nat'Spk users:

To zoom around the fox via voice/keyboard use these extensions:

Hit-a-Hint at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1341/

Surfkeys at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2282/

For more info go to http://users.tkk.fi/~psillanp/hah_hp/

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Hey guys,

I am running the latest version of Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5. in your opinion, which is a better for DNS 9, the latest version of IE, or Firefox? I haven't really figured out how to navigate Firefox with DNS, and it really hurts to type, so it's hard to search the web to find resources about navigating the web with DNS. Can anyone give me some links? It would be much appreciated. DNS came with a smaller how-to manual than my freaking cell phone!

Thank you so much for the links! I'm getting more and more used to using Internet explorer, and getting better at navigating the Internet every day using DNS. But, it sure will be nice to go back to Firefox--if only on principle. I hate Microsoft!

I just got DNS installed on my work laptop which I'm using now. It's got a 2 GHz processor, but only 512 megs of RAM. Even with the minimal amount of RAM, the program's running much faster than it does on my personal laptop which has a processor speed of only half that.

Today in Massachusetts it was no sales tax day. I was at Best Buy and so tempted to buy a new computer. My next personal laptop will have a least two gigs of RAM.
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Put a little time into using these firefox extensions and you'll move
    faster with DNS via firefox than you can with IE .
    Shortcuts and Extensions are were the fox fun is.

A few details that I've encountered:

0n web pages like the a couple at Google the creator forces the focus to a text entry field. So you need to get out of the text field.
    Simple. Just say "tab key" to get out. Now say "space bar" before naviagiting via a i/k/j/l keys (Surf Key) or
    before saying 'key h' to do navigate the links (Hit-a-Hint).

The one very ugly page I encounter is Yahoo's home page. It assumes a mouse is the only possible way to access/click URL links.
    Thus it forces all key entries (and thus your voice entries) to its text field.
    My work around for this ignorance is to use a web proxy like the free bfilter to sterilize the foolish Yahoo javascript code hidden inside.
    You can do all sorts of 'fix this garabage' web pages with proxies.

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Thank you so much for the links! I'm getting more and more used to using Internet explorer, and getting better at navigating the Internet every day using DNS. But, it sure will be nice to go back to Firefox--if only on principle. I hate Microsoft!

I just got DNS installed on my work laptop which I'm using now. It's got a 2 GHz processor, but only 512 megs of RAM. Even with the minimal amount of RAM, the program's running much faster than it does on my personal laptop which has a processor speed of only half that.

Today in Massachusetts it was no sales tax day. I was at Best Buy and so tempted to buy a new computer. My next personal laptop will have a least two gigs of RAM.
    Last edited by Ges; 08-13-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Hi Jenn,

I have purchased DNS 9 preferred ($99 thru Nuance) recently but I have not put it into use at this time. I am waiting on KnowBrainer to come up with a work around for their incredible product KnowBrainer 2006! KB 2006 will not work with DNS 9 preferred...yet. KB 2006 should be out in about a week. www.KnowBrainer.com is a great source of nfo for DNS and is a good bulletin board and in my opinion bears checking out.

JayColorado is so right about Kensington trackballs. I use a Expert Mouse Pro with programable buttons. I would be lost without it.

I hope this helps and am so sorry about your tendinitis.

garlin

Disclaimer: I do not work for nor am I affililiated with KnowBrainer or Kensington.

I just purchased an upgrade from DNS Pro version 8 to DNS Pro version 9. I got it through KnowBrainer for only $99! (I believe this is a limited time offer.) I just installed it last night and so far it's working great. Response time seems to be faster and accuracy is improved. Also, page navigation works much better (at least on this site). I can now say page up or page down and it will do what you would expect. In version 8 it would go to the top or the bottom of the page.

When you install version 9, make sure you uninstall version 8 first. It will eliminate a lot of problems. It will ask you for your version 8 CD during the install to verify that you own the previous version.

I am using Dragon 7.3 at the moment. I am toying with the idea of getting version 9 but it is extremely expensive here, £135.

The recognition on 7.3 is very good I think. Sometimes it doesn't work as well as it could do on some forums. Is version 9 really worth upgrading to?

Ironside,

I do not have Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 Professional on my computer at this time (probably sometime this week) but I am sure you will hear from some of our members on this issue. It would help if you provide us with some information about your computer e.g. processor, amount of RAM, OS. If you have Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro 7 or 8 you can upgrade to version 9 for around $100 (US) until 9-15-06. After September 15, 2006 the price goes up to $300. From what I've read the price for Dragon 9.0 NaturallySpeaking Preferred can be purchased for about $100 after 9-15-06 on sites like Amazon or just do a Froogle search. I don't think that Dragon 7.3 Pro will be considered upgradable by Nuance when they release Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 but Microsoft is working on VR with Vista so who knows will happen down the road!? Also, with Dragon 7.3 you will not be uninstalling the software from your computer if you decide to upgrade to version 9 unless you have the full program.

No, I don't think 7.3 will be upgradable. I am using a Pentium D 3GHz with 2GHz of RAM. I tend not to use Dragon to navigate the computer. I really only use it for dictation. Mind you, I could be persuaded to if it really does work well. I find that 7.3 dozen always work that well and some forums. It can be frustrating sometimes when you say a word and the whole screen closes and you lose everything you have written. A lot of the time I write what I want a say in Dragon pad and then just cut-and-paste. I would still like to try 9 and see what it is like.

Just as a matter of interest, let us say we have the word "line" if that isn't the word I want, and I say select line, the whole line gets selected, is there a way around this? The same goes for the word "all" if you say select all, the whole document gets selected. For someone like myself who can use a mouse, it doesn't really matter, but for someone who has no movement, it could be very frustrating. I normally end up dictating the back space on a word like that to get rid of it.