Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Hi guys, I installed version 9, and it's a big improvement from the version 6 preferred that I had. However, I'm having one weird issue that I had with both versions since I got my new computer running XP. I open Dragon and the microphone doesn't work. So I have to go into the sound recorder, click on audio properties, click on volume and select Mic volume, because Front Mic will be selected even if I perform this task prior to opening the sound recorder. How the hell do I get it to stay selected on Mic volume? And I've gone into Realtek HD Audio Manager I can't find anything relevant. By the way, this also happens when I use Google talk.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    However, I'm having one weird issue that I had with both versions since I got my new computer running XP. I open Dragon and the microphone doesn't work. So I have to go into the sound recorder, click on audio properties, click on volume and select Mic volume, because Front Mic will be selected even if I perform this task prior to opening the sound recorder. How the hell do I get it to stay selected on Mic volume? And I've gone into Realtek HD Audio Manager I can't find anything relevant. By the way, this also happens when I use Google talk.
    Hello Nicole!

My hunch is that the problem is hardware and it has to do with your headset. When you have a chance please provide us with the make and model of this headset. Is this an analog headset (RCA jacks) and are you plugging it directly into your computer? The environment inside your computer is quite noisy and you should get better results with an external USB sound pod or headset because it bypasses this interior of the computer box. Another problem could be that the microphone is broken or damaged. I would recommend trying a different microphone headset if possible. At the present time I am researching USB headsets for myself and right now I do not have any recommendations. So stay tuned. I don't think you can go wrong with a Full-Duplex USB Pod. Time to hear from our CareCure brain trust on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hello Nicole!

My hunch is that the problem is hardware and it has to do with your headset. When you have a chance please provide us with the make and model of this headset. Is this an analog headset (RCA jacks) and are you plugging it directly into your computer? The environment inside your computer is quite noisy and you should get better results with an external USB sound pod or headset because it bypasses this interior of the computer box. Another problem could be that the microphone is broken or damaged. I would recommend trying a different microphone headset if possible. At the present time I am researching USB headsets for myself and right now I do not have any recommendations. So stay tuned. I don't think you can go wrong with a Full-Duplex USB Pod. Time to hear from our CareCure brain trust on this issue.

I don't think so because it happened with the old and new headsets both rca jacks into the computer. I'm using the one that came with dragon, the pamphlet says HS-GEN. Today I realized it doesn't happen when someone calls me only when I call them on google talk. I know I should get the usb one but just trying to save the money for now.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-18-2006 at 04:08 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer