Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Dragon Naturally Speaking 9

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 is out. I'm still using version number eight but nine is something to look at. Supposedly the new one is install and ready to go no training needed.

I just purchased Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred through Amazon today. Great price. Does anyone know the difference between Preferred and Professional, other than Professional being fully 508/ADA (completely hands free) compliant?

My employer is going to order this software for me to use at work as well. I'm trying to find the difference between the two so that I can tell them which to buy.

Tekniko-- how many times do you have to use the keyboard, would you say when typing a standard word document?

My tendinitis is so bad that even typing this message was too much!

tekniko, thanks. There is some more information on the voice-recognition can be a pain thread about two clicks down. I recently read that it is recommended to go through the 7 minute training process with this new version.

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    I just purchased Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred through Amazon today. Great price. Does anyone know the difference between Preferred and Professional, other than Professional being fully 508/ADA (completely hands free) compliant?

My employer is going to order this software for me to use at work as well. I'm trying to find the difference between the two so that I can tell them which to buy.
    Jenn, take a look at the Feature Comparison Matrix chart. Sorry about your tendinitis.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Jenn, take a look at the Feature Comparison Matrix chart. Sorry about your tendinitis.
    I'm using professional version 8 now. Looking over the chart, the preferred version would do everything I need except support cordless and array microphones.

That seems like the kind of feature that should be available on the cheaper versions. I don't recall not being able to use an array microphone with previous versions of preferred and standard.

Quote Originally Posted by tekniko
    Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 is out. I'm still using version number eight but nine is something to look at. Supposedly the new one is install and ready to go no training needed.
    anybody have any reports on V 9 with improved wireless recognition?

thx

New York Times
    Technology

David Pogue
    Like Having a Secretary in Your PC

Published: July 20, 2006

TESTING, testing, one two three. Is this thing on?
    Well, I’ll be darned. It’s really on and it’s really working. I’m wearing a headset, talking, and my PC is writing down everything I say in Microsoft Word. I’m speaking at full speed, perfectly normally except that I’m pronouncing the punctuation (comma), like this (period).

Let’s try something a little tougher. Pyridoxine hydrochloride. Antagonistic Lilliputians. Infinitesimal zithers.

Hm! Not bad.

Oh, hi, honey. Did you get to the bank before it closed? Oh, hold on, let me turn off the mike. Wouldn’t want our conversation to wind up in my column!

Article

Well, I'm "typing" this with my new copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9! I've been using it for about three hours, and it is getting progressively easier. I hope this is a sign of good things to come! It sure is nice not to have to use my hands, considering I seem to have tendinitis everywhere. I got the Preferred version, and it seems to be able to do everything that I ask of it. However, navigating webpages is a little bit difficult. I hope that this improves with time as I get more comfortable with the software. I'm using Mozilla Firefox. If anyone has any tricks for using Dragon with Mozilla, I'm open to any and all suggestions! Right now, I'm having the best luck dictating into DragonPad and then cutting and pasting into my e-mail program (Outlook), or into my web browser. But I must say, I am so impressed! My employer has offered to buy be Professional version for work, and it will probably take them up on that very generous offer. I have a pile of work sitting on my desk that I have been avoiding because of the pain in my wrists, hands, and elbows. It will be so nice to be productive again!

I am going to have an appointment with the Assistive Technology department at Spaulding rehab in Boston. They will teach me all the tips and tricks of this software so that I become a pro ASAP.

I was a bit worried about my computer's ability to support the software. I had read on message boards of people with systems that have more power than mine still having trouble. I have a three year old laptop with an AMD processor that is equivalent to an Intel 1 GHz processor with a paltry 512 MB of RAM. It really is the most bare-bones system you could possibly run this program on! There is a tiny amount of lag time, but overall I am happy with the performance.

Sometimes just having a good microphone can make all the difference in the accuracy of your speech recognition. I too use DragonPad quite a bit then do a cut and paste. Especially in Mozilla Firefox, but I thought I read in the specs that version 9 better supported Firefox, (I'm using version 8 Professional service pack one).

Unless you are making custom macros, need specialized vocabularies, or use wireless recording devices, I don't think the professional version will do much for you over the preferred. I think both products would have about the same accuracy. It's the same speech engine, just more bells and whistles. IMO.

Check out the side-by-side comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    I was a bit worried about my computer's ability to support the software. I had read on message boards of people with systems that have more power than mine still having trouble. I have a three year old laptop with an AMD processor that is equivalent to an Intel 1 GHz processor with a paltry 512 MB of RAM. It really is the most bare-bones system you could possibly run this program on! There is a tiny amount of lag time, but overall I am happy with the performance.
    Jenn,

I have also been reading the message boards (users think they may have to upgrade their computer or buy a new one) and it looks like your results are a success story! I will be trying Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 Professional in about two weeks.