Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are the best way of finding a personal helper

what are the best way of finding a personal helper

I need somewhat of a personal assistant. Maybe someone with a nursing background but i dont neccessarily need a nurse but not someone as impersonal as an assist either. just a sort of personal helper to handle little things like accompany me when i have things i need done as far as business or appointments.

any suggestions on finding this type of help.

Years ago, a friend of mine was starting Nursing School. She and a couple
    of her friends (also nursing students) took side jobs by assisting handicapped fella' on a rotating basis. They just set up a schedule with him and attended to his needs at home and when he traveled. If one had a conflict arise, another one would sub. They really liked the guy and tho he is now retired they still remain very good friends and see one another often.
    Talk to ppl, friends who may know some gals who would do that for ya
    and make some $$ on the side as well.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

I cant really think of anyone I kno who would know of someone like that. I dont kno any nursing students.. any other suggestions?

Look in the yellow pages for senior care or personal care. Agencies that supply home help.
    ~Gentleness in speech and action goes a long way
    toward convincing me that someone has assimilated the lessons of life~

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    I cant really think of anyone I kno who would know of someone like that. I dont kno any nursing students.. any other suggestions?
    You can probably post an advertisement at any of the local schools, but screen very carefully.
    Daniel

can u be more specific?

Is this person going to help you pee on the road? eat?
    or just set up your meeting?

Are you looking for a PCA type or a Kramer assistant from NYU? (if you don't get the joke it's ok)
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Back in the day I had a hell of a time

finding someone dependable. Newspapers ads brought in losers. I would suggest a college "student employment" or a hospital. Normally, they have bulletin boards.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321
    can u be more specific?

Is this person going to help you pee on the road? eat?
    or just set up your meeting?

Are you looking for a PCA type or a Kramer assistant from NYU? (if you don't get the joke it's ok)

nah, more like accompany me places and just be there in case i need something when im out in public cuz i hate struggling to do something simple or asking strangers for help. also drive me places i need to go. not neccessarily nursing care but nursing capable if neccessary. i need like a nurse-lite....

may sound silly but how do i post on bulletin board in hospitals and schools? do i just go there and stick something on the board or is there someone in charge of what goes on a bulletin board?

My son goes to school in Boston, and his college has a student employment office. It may just handle on-campus jobs, but if I were you I would approach them. It is probably part of the financial aid department. Pick a school near you, and give them a call, they might have some good ideas as to how to go about it. I know my son got a job that way a year ago (nothing like what you are looking for, but the concept is the same.) Good luck.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005