Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teeth.......

Teeth.......

ive never had any problems with my teeth before injury but in these last 5 yrs my teeth are literally falling apart. i wonder if its cause of all these medicines ive been taking everday or because i cant brush good enough being quad. anyone else have this problem? ive always brushed twice a day.

and to the quads that go to the dentist......are you able to get in the dentist chair?

a lot of the meds wreck havoc on the teeth, dry mouth and decrease of saliva production is the main cause. i started using one of those special anti bacterial mouthwashes at night before sleep.
    cauda equina

Our dentist said that he often sees teeth deteriorate following a major operation; this is probably a similar situation, where the body is doing its damndest to fix a problem somewhere else with a higher priority.
    My wife just tilts in her powerchair.
    - Richard

Agreed about the meds having an effect. Also diet.

Luckily I've been fortunate w/ my teeth. Soniccare toothbrush and a hand held flossing tool.

Yes, I transfer into the dentist's chair.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    and to the quads that go to the dentist......are you able to get in the dentist chair?
    Yes...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I use artificial saliva to counteract the effects of a recently upped dose of ditropan. Also, I drink lots of h2o.

I transfer into the dentist's chair.

Yep, I've always transfered into the dentist chair. They're so damn comfortable that I'm fallen asleep in them when my dentist (also my cousin) was working on me.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I had great teeth prior to sci...now they seem to have gotten worse and just in the last two years...

Another gift, I guess from sci.

Poor diet during and after the injury, unability to brush/floss as I did before, the drugs with their side affects seem to really take their toll on the ole' chicklets.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

My mother actually when to the dentist a couple months after her injury. She can't tranfer without a lift. We told the doc and he just moved the dentist chair out. We rolled her manual chair in its place and tilted it back. He worked around it pretty well.

well thanks a lot yall. i guess i can't use the ole..."i can't get in the dentist chair" excuse now.

i'm sure bad brushing techniques had a lot to do with it for sure. they mentioned using an electric tooth brush in rehab. i couldn't hold on to it so i just learned to use that u-cuff thing-a-ma-jig to stick my tooth brush in.