Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Phentonal?? Mispelled probably

OK folks, play nice, lol.

Daisy, I will comment on one thing you said about folks with doctors who only want to prescribe NSAIDS. Unfortunately, there's a major problem for a lot of folks with very serious pain issues, and I'm talking about folks who would never in a thousand years consider abusing drugs and they're often seniors, who have doctors who either outright refuse to prescribe adequate pain meds or they're simply afraid to because of over-aggressive tactics by the feds that have been in the news lately. Many, many people with pain problems have doctors that simply "don't get it". I'm really happy to see that Derek has a doctor willing to work with him and is willing to try aggressive pain meds. I've had numerous people email me and practically beg for where they can find such a doctor.

Dan and Daisy, I think you've sorted this out well enough at this point so lets get back to Derek's problem that was the original purpose of this whole thread, he's getting lost in the argument here.

Derek, I hope you still feel you're able to come and discuss what's going on in your life right now. I know a couple of people said things that may have sounded like a personal attack, but don't give up on us. I know you're not a druggie and you're just trying to find something that will make it possible to survive each day. You have a HUGE challenge ahead of you to tackle college in the face of all this and you have my sincere respect for even considering it at this point in your life. I wish you all the best.

BTW, I'm still curious how you're distinguishing between neuro and normal pain. There's several different possible manifestations of neuro pain beyond just the burning, such as muscle and gut pain. Do a little reading here and see if anything sounds like a possibility.
    http://painonline.org/mnem.htm

There was no argument.....just a colision of one track minds with different ideas. You know how women are.......we ironed it out in IM's. I agree 100 % with what you said. But the fact remains that even at high doses Derek says the Fentanyl isnt working.......I think that was the only concern here or my only concern anyway. I want to see Derek succeed and graduate from college!!!!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

While I warned you about watching the patch's emotional impact, please don't put me on the "Derek is getting high" list.

You are NOT on a huge dosage. I know an RSD guy who runs 2 100's on his chest and a 50 on his arm...and pops about 150 percocet a month on top of it.
    Each person is different in the way they react to the patch (or any med for that matter) and no two injuries are alike.

There is nothing wrong with this method of pain control.

A common mistake people make is to "just take the edge off" instead of trying for freedom from the pain.

Your want to eat or not eat is one of the very common side effects. This may sound stupid, but saltines worked the "grinding" out for me. At night was the time it bothered me. Ten crackers with peanut butter or just plain and some herbal tea with a touch of honey worked very well. (I had to force myself to eat them, but it calmed everything within 15 minutes.) It stopped after a couple of weeks.

I was on the patch for a good while.
    PM me if you need to chat about it or you need a sounding board and you are too pissed off to continue this thread in public.

PS
    Derek, you have not been using the patch long enough to even adjust its proper level.

Sorry Daisy, but saying it did not stop his pain is a huge assumption.
    Give it a chance.
    It can take a while to find the right level.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    Well, they work sometimes, I don't understand it. Like earlier today, still had pain but wasn't unbearable like usual. Now, the pain is horrendous again.
    Another thing, I THINK I MIGHT need a stronger dose than 50mcg's and please believe me when I say I'm not trying to get high. That is the last thing on my mind, I don't want to get that euphoric feeling, I just want my pain to always be bearable. It's hurting so bad right now...
    as for what daisy said, I don't like mixing them. It messes with my stomach if I mix them, but the 25mcg's weren't cutting it so I needed something to take. The 50mcg's work sometimes but the breakthrough pain is so wicked. I'll have to talk with my pain doc about all of this. He's a good doctor and I trust him.
    I didnt make an assumption about anything, he said it.

David, That is a really good link. I am going to store it in my favorites. I totally agree with you about doctors. That is why it is important to find one that knows Spinal Cord Injury pain. It is hard to explain to someone who has no background in SCI.

Derek- I hope this link helps you understand what pain you are having. Maybe you can use it to talk to your doctor.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 08-06-2006 at 01:38 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Derek, One thing I have found as well, is that even tho' the fentenyl is not for neuro pain, if it can control the "regular pain" the neuro pain is easier to control as well. The other day my patch came off, and I didn't realize it. I had other issues going on (and ANYTHING painful below my level that I dont "feel" causes what I was told is "referred" pain in my back) so I never suspected it was the patch. That night I was literally sitting in bed sobbing while I was waiting for the breakthrough meds to kick in. Not only did my back pain skyrocket, but the neuro pain in my legs and lower back was through the roof as well. I know I have said this before, but try to find the balance of meds that will keep you comfortable, without fogging your brain to much for school. Good luck with it. I personally find the pain the biggest issue to deal with for the SCI.

ps just reread your posts and you mentioned working out again soon. That should help things some as well! I also realized that you said you don't have as much neuro pain as well, so some of what I said doesn;t really apply.
    Last edited by sjean423; 08-06-2006 at 04:13 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Just to end this thread I found the correct dosage. Thanks to all who have helped me with this topic. I also had to go a day and a half without the patch because of my dad forgetting to get them from the pharmacy. It was a BAD night. Thanks again

"...please believe me when I say I'm not trying to get high. That is the last thing on my mind, I don't want to get that euphoric feeling, I just want my pain to always be bearable.?"

Derek, I am deleting the post because it was only meant to be humorous and sympathetic, not accusatory. (see below)
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-17-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine
    "...please believe me when I say I'm not trying to get high. That is the last thing on my mind, I don't want to get that euphoric feeling, I just want my pain to always be bearable.?"

Come on Derek. You are lying. You expect US to believe you? Get off it. You can't kid a kidder.

Every one of us just wanted to get high. That is why we all went to such carefully executed lengths to acquire spinal cord damage and central pain just so we could have a socially acceptable way to beg our doctors for pain medicines and then get high AND very constipated.

I know of no more effective way of getting high than cord damage, with the help of course of the really expensive set of drugs you may sometimes be able to wrest out of the hands of your pain management center.

So don't tell us this was not all premeditated. You are a drug seeker, just like the rest of us. I can't believe you thought we would fall for it.
    Although you seem to be being 'sarcastic' or whatever, FUCK YOU. I hate pricks like you. You might be the only person I'd wish my pain on just so you could shut your fucking mouth. Take my pain and you'd never open your fucking mouth again you fucking asshole. You deserve to die.

****************************NOTE****************** ***********
    THE PAIN I AM HAVING IS NOT NEUROPATHIC PAIN. The problem I'm having is with the NON-neuro pain

One thing that I have just read is that people seem to overlook that I'm not looking for something to control my neuropathic pain. My neuro pain is more often than not bearable. The Fentanyl does, however, help with the neuro pain as well. I forgot to add earlier that I am now on the 50mcg patches and they work fine most of the time. I have one on now and although it is helping ease the pain it is not allowing me to sleep. I do not plan on upping my dosage either. Also, will someone ban the dejerine prick?
    Last edited by WonderDerek; 08-17-2006 at 06:24 AM.