Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Phentonal?? Mispelled probably

I can tell from experience that it's not fun. A couple yr's ago I decided I was going to go off of it against my Dr.'s wishes. I did but All I could do was lay and shake for about a week, then I couldn't do anything at all for hurting so bad and the Dr. told me to put it back on. I try to change it on time now and Never change ths dose without my Dr's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    How's it going Derek, have you found a dosage that helps yet? Does you doc know you're changing doses? If not you could land yourself in a heap of trouble being identified as an abuser and he could pull all narcotics. Don't land yourself in a situation where you run out of meds before he'll let you have a refill, that would force you to go cold turkey. NOT fun.
    Well, they work sometimes, I don't understand it. Like earlier today, still had pain but wasn't unbearable like usual. Now, the pain is horrendous again. I talked to my doctor and he told me it was okay and said he would call in some more patches so I don't learn the hard way about just stopping. Why do the patches sometimes work and then sometimes it feels almost like it used to? My pain doc is the guy that gave me the Vicodin for breakthrough pain.

Also, do you have to get used to the patches? My appetite has gone to crap after putting two patches on(50mcg's) and I can only eat a few bites of a meal before being full. I wake up and my stomach is KILLING me until I take my Nexium and eat something. Will this go away because it sucks.

Another thing, I THINK I MIGHT need a stronger dose than 50mcg's and please believe me when I say I'm not trying to get high. That is the last thing on my mind, I don't want to get that euphoric feeling, I just want my pain to always be bearable. It's hurting so bad right now... I notice that when I'm in my chair for a long time that's when the pain gets worse. I'm going to college in less than a month and will be in my chair from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed which will drive me crazy. I'm going to start working out again in 15 days and I think that might put a toll on it as well. I do NOT want to get high/loaded/whatever I just want my &#*(ing pain to subside. I've had this pain for 6 months and it's really starting to piss/depress/screw with my head. Should I just tell my doctor that? I don't want him, or anyone else, thinking I'm only doing this to get high.

Everyone keeps saying that Fentanyl doesn't always work for neuropathic pain but that is not what I'm trying to control. My neuro pain can be controlled by my Gabapentin just fine. The neuro pain comes and goes but it is seldom that the neuro pain gets horrendous. The non-neuro pain is just unbelievable.

Thanks for telling me not to stop the Fentanyl cold turkey, guys. That's how I usually stop medicine but I don't want to go through withdrawls, especially knowing they can kill you.....

As I've been on these patches I actually find that I'm a better person.. It's weird, I'm more generous to people, I try harder to please people, and I have the feeling that I need to get my life straight. It makes me WANT to succeed.

as for what daisy said, I don't like mixing them. It messes with my stomach if I mix them, but the 25mcg's weren't cutting it so I needed something to take. The 50mcg's work sometimes but the breakthrough pain is so wicked. I'll have to talk with my pain doc about all of this. He's a good doctor and I trust him.

I don't know how many of you guys have had INSANE pain that literlly runs your life but that's how mines been these past 6 months. I used to just lay in my bed all day, not doing anything, because of my back. I don't know why but the pain seems to increase every now and then. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but in my car accident I was ejected from my truck and thrown in front of it. The truck flipped and eventually flipped onto my back. I say this because I want you guys to know I AM in pain. I'm not trying to get a "high". I did that earlier in my life, I went through my drug phase, I've lost friends due to them, I've seen bad things happen, I just want to be able to get my life going and with the pain I don't know if I can do that. It took me almost losing my life to realize how special life is, how delicate, how meaningful, and have seen my calling... I want to help people, I don't want to be on the road I was before my accident. I repeat that I am not trying to get a eupphoric feeling. Thanks, guys

Derek
    You keep repeating about getting high. Im not really sure what kind of pain you are having. You say your neuro pain is well controlled. Is it bone pain? Exercising helps my pain. I had the insane pain you are talking about last year but my pain meds didnt make me more giving and more generous. I was a major bit** on the pain meds. Im not sure how you are going to do in school if your pain is this bad. Usually you can't concentrate with pain such as what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderderek
    As I've been on these patches I actually find that I'm a better person.. It's weird, I'm more generous to people, I try harder to please people, and I have the feeling that I need to get my life straight. It makes me WANT to succeed.
    This paragraph makes you sound like you might just like the high your getting.

Derek you are going to have good days with pain and bad days with pain. We all do. Im not sure there is anything in the world to take it all away. But you have got to be careful with all these pain meds. The addiction is hard to kick. It is a major concern also that you are drinking with these pain drugs.......I can tell you alcohol and vicodin will put you on dialysis. I have a friend of my family who died two years ago because of this same combination......You are playing with fire that Nexium is not going to be able to put out.

I think you are headed for a hefty addiction.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hi WonderDerek,

My suggestion would be, since you're young and healthy except for your SCI that you get outta the house and exercise in the fresh air. Wheel your chair a couple/few miles each day or get one of those hand cycle bikes and do some "exploring".

Do you live with your parents or are you on your own?

What do you do all day long to keep yourself occupied? It seems like you're hanging around the house all day long getting high and lazy concentrating on your pain. Or hanging out with your friends getting high. You need to find something active and hopefully constructive that you enjoy doing to take your mind off the pain and minimize your drug intake.

I don't know your full situation, all I know about you is what you write here at CC and it's coming across to me as though you're depressed, feeling sorry for yourself because of your great loss (which is very understandable) and focusing on your pain and looking towards drugs to alter your condition. Be it pain or the loss you've experienced

How are you going to concentrate and remember anything that you read or are taught in school when you're blitzed as hell on one of the strongest narcotics that exists. Like you, I'm on gabapentin and it makes me very forgetful.... add a strong dose of fentanyl and whatever else you're taking and you may as well not even start school. Just mope around the house a bit, lay on mom's couch for awhile and watch the Springer show.

I think you need to make a decision about what direction you want to go in and the deadline is approaching fast..... school.

You didn't even take the time or expend the effort to learn how to spell "fentanyl" correctly yet you have a patch of it on your person. You even misspelled the word "misspelled" in the title bar of your own thread. IMO spelling doesn't matter on the Internet but it's an indication of laziness and a snapshot of just how out of it you are because of the many drugs you're on. It's only a Google away yet you didn't bother.... something needs to change in your life if you expect to make it in school. And I assume you drink a bit too which is definitely a deadly combination when mixed with fentanyl and other opioids.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    I don't use my pain medicine to get high like alot of people do, I take my medicine to get relief.
    And when junkies run out of dope they call it being "sick" and not what it really is, a lifestyle of chasing instant gratification and an unwillingness to get their mind and life back in order.

Being in a coma or dead will bring you relief too.

Three Vicodin and a "few" beers, is that what the doctor prescribed?

You're newly injured and I hope that you don't make any stupid decisions that will further permanently injure you and that you'll regret for the rest of your life.

I hope I'm not being too hard on you and also hope that you'll be able to work through your pain without being on so many strong pain meds. SCI sure does suck but at your age and short time period post-injury, it should get easier for ya. I hope it does.

Do you have access to any professional psychological services? Everyone who can should get some psychological help after an injury as severe and life altering as a SCI. You're suffering through a great loss. There's no shame in it and ya never know, it might help to talk with someone who you can confide in and who can objectively counsel you.

Good luck.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Derek, as long as you keep in close contact with your doctor about what you're taking (including alcohol) and how much, you stand at least a fair chance of avoiding serious overdose and other problems. There's certainly no guarantee because of all the variables involved. As you're quickly learning, there's a lot of instances where drugs simply won't scratch the surface and it's hopeless to think you'll win. That's where you can easily get into trouble.

There's a fine but important distinction between addition and dependance. This is a grossly oversimplified example, but a diabetic is dependant on insulin and a druggie is addicted to meth. There's no shame in being dependant. What you have to be very careful of in your situation is when the patches start to lose effectiveness and you have to use more for the same effect. You're already at a very high dose and you're just starting. Hopefully research will come out with better alternatives down the road, but still you have to look at where you'll be years down the road if Fentanyl is the strongest option available.

As always, I highly recommend you be an informed consumer. Study up:
    http://www.duragesic.com/

Oh yeah, how are you distinguishing between neuropathic pain and "normal" pain? Any non-neuro pain should be wiped out pretty quick by the levels you're taking. I can't recall now what other options you've tried for neuro pain, e.g. Neurontin, anti-depressants, etc.

.... I repeated the not wanting to get high because I DO NOT WANT TO GET HIGH but now you guys think I only want to get high. I didn't know how to spell Fentanyl because my doctor told me about it and wrote it on the prescription and we brought the prescription to the pharmacy rfight away and I didn;t look at it. I spell something wrong and that means I'm lazy? I sit around all day because I want to get high and I'm lazy. Whatever. You don't know me, you don't know how I am, and you certainly don't know my situation. I'm asking information about this damn patch and you're critiquing my spelling and telling me I like to get high...... Thank you

"I hope I'm not being too hard on you and also hope that you'll be able to work through your pain without being on so many strong pain meds. SCI sure does suck but at your age and short time period post-injury, it should get easier for ya. I hope it does."

^^I've posted in this thread that the pain continues to get worse.

"Do you have access to any professional psychological services?"

^^ This will help my pain how? I don't need that shit. I'm doing fine psychologically whether you believe me or not, probably won't because I'm using this shit to get "high"

"IMO spelling doesn't matter on the Internet but it's an indication of laziness and a snapshot of just how out of it you are because of the many drugs you're on. It's only a Google away yet you didn't bother.... something needs to change in your life if you expect to make it in school. And I assume you drink a bit too which is definitely a deadly combination when mixed with fentanyl and other opioids."

^Spelling something wrong means I'm lazy and a "snapshot of how many drugs I'm on"...... Do you know me? No, then stop assuming shit that you don't know about. I'm on 3 medications now. Who the hell are you to tell me that something in my life needs to change when you don't know anything about me? I was asking for help in this thread, not your bullshit assumptions. I drink a bit to much? If you only knew how LITTE I drink. I might drink every now and then and I don't drink to get drunk anymore. Wait, you might assume I'm an alcoholic from that sentence.... I appreciate your help regarding my last post.

Thank you, David... I know the difference between addiction and dependance and I won't be embarassed about me being dependant on a drug to help the pain. I am learning about this drug and that's why I made a thread about it. I had never heard of it and I've learned alot from this thread. I'm still getting the neuro pain but it doesn't come as often. When I do have it that's when I'll take my Gabapentin. I use the Gabapentin as needed. I try to take as little medicine as possible, I taking medicine . And I'd like to thank you for not saying, assuming, or calling me an addict or saying I'm "just doing this to get high." I do appreciate that.

DErek,

I am on Lyrica for nerve pain, so I am not sure if it works the same, but I understood with the Lyrica that it had to build up to a certain leval to work, and that I had to take it steadily to have it work. Not on an as-needed basis like you would take an aspirin. It makes me wonder if more of your pain is "nerve pain" than you realize. I also have both going on and I find that if the nerve pain gets too high I have little tolerance for "regular" pain and need more break-through meds, if the nerve pain is in control I can handle the non-nerve pain better as well. Check with your pain doc if you should be taking the Gabapentin steadily. I know you want to avoid taking as much med a possible, but it might be better to take more of that and less of the other.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Derek
    We only know what you write here on CareCure. Your pain should be well controlled on the amount of meds you are taking. I am just concerned about you. As you get older your pain will get worse and if you are requiring this much pain medicine now.....you will require much more later. I am not saying your pain is not real.......Depression will make your pain 10 times worst than it is if you are not depressed. I know I have been there too. I hurt so bad last year that I was ready to commit suicide. Drugs didnt help me either. The depression I was experiencing exacerbated my pain to a level I didnt want to live. I had a surgery to relieve the physical pain but I could not just lift myself out of depression on my own. I am on no pain meds now except for ultram ER and I am exercising to help bring myself out of the hole I dug last year. It can get to be too much.

Derek I only want to help you understand. You are new to this injury...at times the pain is going to be more than you can bare. Just adding drugs is not going to help if the pain is due to something else. You are a bright young man.....you have shown that through your posts. College is going to be a wonderful experience for you but not if you are miserable with pain and strung out on meds. They give Fentanyl to cancer patients who are getting ready to die. It is a very powerful drug. I am in no way saying their are not people out there that needs it but it seems you are increasing your dose at a fast rate. I hope you get all this worked out and start to feel better. You are going to have so much fun in college. This post about depression was not just about the meds....didnt you also break up with a significant other? This could be affecting your body in relation to your pain. You said it has gotten worse in the past 6 months and this is the time you were having problems with your Girlfriend also. Your mind has everything to do with your pain. I like you were slow to realize it too....... I just dont want you to end up with an addiction or worse yet labeled by your doctors as a drug seeker. I used to work in a hospital and they actually label charts to alert other doctors.....I am not saying you are one.....just take care of yourself. You have alot of potential even with an SCI.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Derek
    We only know what you write here on CareCure. Your pain should be well controlled on the amount of meds you are taking. I am just concerned about you. As you get older your pain will get worse and if you are requiring this much pain medicine now.....you will require much more later. I am not saying your pain is not real.......Depression will make your pain 10 times worst than it is if you are not depressed. I know I have been there too. I hurt so bad last year that I was ready to commit suicide. Drugs didnt help me either. The depression I was experiencing exacerbated my pain to a level I didnt want to live. I had a surgery to relieve the physical pain but I could not just lift myself out of depression on my own. I am on no pain meds now except for ultram ER and I am exercising to help bring myself out of the hole I dug last year. It can get to be too much.

Derek I only want to help you understand. You are new to this injury...at times the pain is going to be more than you can bare. Just adding drugs is not going to help if the pain is due to something else. You are a bright young man.....you have shown that through your posts. College is going to be a wonderful experience for you but not if you are miserable with pain and strung out on meds. They give Fentanyl to cancer patients who are getting ready to die. It is a very powerful drug. I am in no way saying their are not people out there that needs it but it seems you are increasing your dose at a fast rate. I hope you get all this worked out and start to feel better. You are going to have so much fun in college. This post about depression was not just about the meds....didnt you also break up with a significant other? This could be affecting your body in relation to your pain. You said it has gotten worse in the past 6 months and this is the time you were having problems with your Girlfriend also. Your mind has everything to do with your pain. I like you were slow to realize it too....... I just dont want you to end up with an addiction or worse yet labeled by your doctors as a drug seeker. I used to work in a hospital and they actually label charts to alert other doctors.....I am not saying you are one.....just take care of yourself. You have alot of potential even with an SCI.
    I am not all strung out on my pain medicine. I don't feel any different other than my stomach but that is getting better. Just by your last post, as well as bob clarks, it seemed as you two were saying I only wanted to get high which is bullshit. That pisses me off. I also didn't say I was upping the dosage again. I would talk with my doctor before doing that, I'm not stupid. I have pain that the doctors told me would subside, and no one believes that either.... I broke all my ribs in my accident and they still hurt 6 months after. If I get slightly touched on my ribs, it hurts and yet no one believes me but I don't care anymore. I don't want to be labeled a drug addict so I will just keep my mouth shut so everyone doesn't start assuming more stuff.

Derek, how do you distinguish the neuropathic pain from non-neuro pain or referred pain. It all seems to just "hurt."
    Daniel