Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Phentonal?? Mispelled probably

hope it works for you! I was taking Fentanyl for headaches when I was younger, then tried it again at some point for back pain, but was unsuccessful in getting relief. I personally don't like the opiates because they don't seem to help for very long--I seem to be left with side effects and no relief before I need to get a refill.

Derek, I have been using the Fentanyl patches since I came home from the hospital. Sometimes I don't think they help, but then one wears off, and I realize just how well it is working. Mine are good for 72 hours. It takes about 12 hours for the patch to get into my system, then continues for 72 hours. SO that when I replace it after 3 days, the OLD patch had 12 hours of medicine in my system left for the next 12 hours, while the new patch ramps up. I have to be careful that it doesn't come off, and you have to be VERY careful disposing of them. Read the inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    Also, he did tell me never to put the patch on before bed, he told me to put it on in the morning. Why not before bed?
    My guess would be that he didn;t want you to use it the first time, and go to sleep, and not be awake for any reactions.

There are a lot of precautions regarding heat and pressure on the patch, which will cause too much medicine to be released at once. And there have been reports of deaths due to lowered respiration and problems with overdoses with the patch. So be VERY careful, but I have found that it does make a big difference on my non-neuro pain. I still have percocets for break through pain as well. Watch carefully if you have any respiratory (sp?) issues.

My dosage is 50 mcg/h over 72 hours. Are you sure yours aren't 25 and not 2.5? I was on 75 at the hospital. Since I started with the Lyrica for my neuro pain, my SCI doc and I plan on dropping the fentenyl to the 25s and see what happens, but right now I am dealing with DVTs in both legs, and that has upped my pain levels greatly, so now is not the time to lower anthing!

I find the combination of neuro pain meds and "regular" pain meds works best with me, keeping everything at a level that I can tolerate. I can handle a little of either or both, but if either one gets too high, I can't tolerate the other at all. (DOes that make sense?)

Hope it works for you, but be very careful with it. I decided the benefits outweighed the risks.
    Last edited by sjean423; 07-26-2006 at 10:33 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    Percocet, Vicodin, Ultram, and I have tried other pills that I got from friends. So basically everything. The 2.5mg of the Fentanyl is alittle to weak so i'm going to double it. Doc said it was okay
    I know a lot of people who would love to have a doctor as accomodating as your's. Glad to hear it's helping.

Derek I also am on the patch, 50Mcgrams I started on 25 and had to have it bumped up to 50. I've been on it since I came home also, I tried the Generic form and was allergic to it. Also my Dr. said it was Dangerous, I've had many a go-rround with my insurance over this med So I am on the Duragesic.
    Like other's have said sometimes you don't think it does a whole lot till it pretty well runs out and then you find out just what it does do!!!
    Good luck
    Doug

Yup, after missing "change the patch" day once, I learned to be much more careful with my calendar!!!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

pain management is a tough science.
    if it was neuropathic pain i would have though they would have tried a lot of the anticonvulsants first such as neurontin ,lyrica topamax .
    the big problem i see when you start with the strong narcotics like fenatil is they are very hard to stop, at least with lyrica or neurontin, when you decide they really aren't helping or want to try without them, its pretty easy to taper off .
    if its not neuropathic pain that the narcotics will probably be necessary, even with neuropathic pain the narcotic are usually necessary, however the anticonvulsants work well with narcotics and help to keep the narcotic dose down
    cauda equina

I looked at the patch and I was wrong, it is 25mcg... Oops lol. It does help but I still have bad non-neuropathic pain so I'm going to up it to 50mcg in 4 days. My patch came off last night when I was at a friends get together, drunk people hugging on me to much , and I waited until about 1pm to put a new one on and wow did my back hurt when I woke up. How much of a difference would an extra 25mcg's make?

An extra 25mcg should make quite a bit of difference. I have trouble keeping the patch on sometimes as well, have found a small piece of tape on each end helps. Keep in mind that the lost patch could be dangerous to others, (especially drunken others!) I have also experemented with placement, especially in the summer. In winter I put it on my upper arm (long sleeves and all) but during warm weather I put it on my side. Hope it helps!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

That shit made me break out in hives

Watch the heat with any patch

Like it has been mentioned above, you must watch the heat because way too much drug can be released if it gets too hot.

I have see quite a few overdoses in the ER from heating pads, heated waterbeds, even just being in the sun too long.

Great medicine. Just be careful.

MIke