Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phentonal?? Mispelled probably

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phentonal?? Mispelled probably

I finally got to go to my pain doctor today and he gave me some Phentonal(sp?) patches and I was wondering how well it works? I haven't gotten the patches yet and might not tomorrow unless my insurance stops being retarded. The doc. said he's going to start me on a lower kind of dose but it it doesn't work enough he said I'll be able to put two patches on instead of one. Anyone have any experience with these patches? Thanks

fentanyl, with an analgesic potency of about 80 times that of morphine
    fentanyl

Newer Info

It's a very potent synthetic opioid. Par----Tay!

Be careful.

Sold under the brand name of the DURAGESIC Patch® (fentanyl transdermal system) CII patch is a strong medication for moderate-to-severe chronic pain, available only by prescription, that can provide long-lasting relief from persistent pain.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    I finally got to go to my pain doctor today and he gave me some Phentonal(sp?) patches and I was wondering how well it works?
    It depends. Even Fentanyl, like any other opiate, can fail in treating neuropathic pain, but some do report at least limited effectiveness. The problem is that you're not dealing with "conventional" pain, but pain from the nerves themselves and opiate receptors are famously inadequate in blocking this type of pain, regardless of the drug in use. But, it should do very well with any pain you have that's not neuropathic, and perhaps even some that is. Like Bob said, use it with care, Fentanyl is about as serious as it gets.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    It depends. Even Fentanyl, like any other opiate, can fail in treating neuropathic pain, but some do report at least limited effectiveness. The problem is that you're not dealing with "conventional" pain, but pain from the nerves themselves and opiate receptors are famously inadequate in blocking this type of pain, regardless of the drug in use. But, it should do very well with any pain you have that's not neuropathic, and perhaps even some that is. Like Bob said, use it with care, Fentanyl is about as serious as it gets.
    Agreed. Period.

Fentanyl is really a last resort. As stated Neuropathic pain is a bitch to deal with.

I'm lucky as a little Valium helps a lot.

One other note about Fentanyl is that it will constipate you, even worse than other opiates. Be careful

Regards,
    Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Thanks guys. I think I need something pretty heavy because my pain can get HORRIBLE. I'm not going to be using it for neuropathic pain but for the other pain. Gabapentin works fine for my neuro pain when I have it. As for the severity of the Fentanyl, my doctor said he's starting me off on the lower dosage and it that doesn't work then to call him. He's an awesome doctor so I trust him. Also, he did tell me never to put the patch on before bed, he told me to put it on in the morning. Why not before bed? And as for it constipating me, that's fine because my bowel program works better when I am constipated. And I'm more confident that I won't have an accident . Thanks again

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Thanks guys. I think I need something pretty heavy because my pain can get HORRIBLE. I'm not going to be using it for neuropathic pain but for the other pain. Gabapentin works fine for my neuro pain when I have it. As for the severity of the Fentanyl, my doctor said he's starting me off on the lower dosage and it that doesn't work then to call him. He's an awesome doctor so I trust him. Also, he did tell me never to put the patch on before bed, he told me to put it on in the morning. Why not before bed? And as for it constipating me, that's fine because my bowel program works better when I am constipated. And I'm more confident that I won't have an accident . Thanks again
    If you trust your doctor then go for it. I judge every thing around constipation, my bowel nemesis.........

I wish you the best with this.

Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

I have the patch on right now, it's the 2.5mg one and it's working okay. I think I'll have to get bumped up to the next dose though. My back still hurts, just not as bad. The patches are small lol

Derek, I have been using the Fentanyl patches since I came home from the hospital. Sometimes I don't think they help, but then one wears off, and I realize just how well it is working. Mine are good for 72 hours. It takes about 12 hours for the patch to get into my system, then continues for 72 hours. SO that when I replace it after 3 days, the OLD patch had 12 hours of medicine in my system left for the next 12 hours, while the new patch ramps up. I have to be careful that it doesn't come off, and you have to be VERY careful disposing of them. Read the inserts.

Also, he did tell me never to put the patch on before bed, he told me to put it on in the morning. Why not before bed?
    My guess would be that he didn;t want you to use it the first time, and go to sleep, and not be awake for any reactions.

There are a lot of precautions regarding heat and pressure on the patch, which will cause too much medicine to be released at once. And there have been reports of deaths due to lowered respiration and problems with overdoses with the patch. So be VERY careful, but I have found that it does make a big difference on my non-neuro pain. I still have percocets for break through pain as well. Watch carefully if you have any respiratory (sp?) issues.

My dosage is 50 mcg/h over 72 hours. Are you sure yours aren't 25 and not 2.5? I was on 75 at the hospital. Since I started with the Lyrica for my neuro pain, my SCI doc and I plan on dropping the fentenyl to the 25s and see what happens, but right now I am dealing with DVTs in both legs, and that has upped my pain levels greatly, so now is not the time to lower anthing!

I find the combination of neuro pain meds and "regular" pain meds works best with me, keeping everything at a level that I can tolerate. I can handle a little of either or both, but if either one gets too high, I can't tolerate the other at all. (DOes that make sense?)

Hope it works for you, but be very careful with it. I decided the benefits outweighed the risks.
    Last edited by sjean423; 07-26-2006 at 10:33 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

hope it works for you! I was taking Fentanyl for headaches when I was younger, then tried it again at some point for back pain, but was unsuccessful in getting relief. I personally don't like the opiates because they don't seem to help for very long--I seem to be left with side effects and no relief before I need to get a refill.

That shit made me break out in hives