Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Moving Forward: War on "TERROR"ble Diseases!!

Arrow Moving Forward: War on "TERROR"ble Diseases!!

Yeah here we are again!

Give up on ESCR or continue to fight for ESCR?

All advocate groups have vowed to continue to fight for ESCR alongside their disease specific legislations.

Here are five suggested responses to choose from to send to your Nay-sayer senators:

Click the red arrow to select any of the following text for inclusion in your message.
    As a [Parkinson’s patient/caregiver/family member] I wanted to take the time to express to you my disappointment over your vote against patients, against the potential to decrease human suffering, and, overall, against the needs and priorities of your constituents by voting “no” on H.R. 810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.

Although the President vetoed the legislation, the needs of my family, me, and others in this community will not be dismissed and the will of the people will not be ignored. I will continue to fight for embryonic stem cell research alongside other ethical research in pursuit of improved treatments and a cure for Parkinson’s disease.

As you know, more than 120 million Americans suffer from chronic and life-threatening diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, ALS, osteoporosis and spinal cord injuries. Medical researchers have discovered that many diseases and injuries could potentially be treated or cured by new regenerative medicine therapies involving stem cells. So now I must ask you, how could you vote no?

If you said no because you considered the potential life of an embryo, think of the reality of mine. If you said no because 127 frozen embryos have been adopted in the past 5 years, think of the other 399,873 leftover frozen embryos that may be destroyed rather than used to save lives.

If you said no because to date there is no proof that embryonic stem cell research holds the key to a cure or improved treatments today, then I ask you to invest in tomorrow and in the hope that this research will provide answers for our children and grandchildren. If you said no because you believe that adult stem cell research has “cured” many diseases, than I am living proof to tell you that is a lie.

I ask that you re-consider your position on this issue in the 110th Congress and I will continue my diligent work to advance this ethical research and educate my friends and community at large on this vital legislation that could help unlock the mystery of Parkinson’s and other diseases.

TAKE ACTION ON ESCR
    Last edited by Faye; 07-21-2006 at 07:53 AM.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Moving Forward
    Posted by Cherrylips
    Don't Turn Your Back On Escr

Whilst passage of the CRPA is great, we cannot ignore ESCR and let it fall on the backburner, two examples of this being Davies and Mcdonald, the CRPA would not even touch a large proportion of their research...

Thank you Cherrylips.

Unfortunately, the Moderator Mantra of "CRPA exclusively" is loud and clear again.

This is absolutely not seen in any other "patient" groups, hence many die-hard ESCR advocates like Don Reed and Hope2FindaCure staying away from CC.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Thank you Mr Bush

Just so you know where all those embryos you 'saved' are going -

Thanks Carbar!

A picture speaks a thousand words as they say!!!

AND that is precisely what I said to the reporter who interviewed us for the Florida Times Union on Tuesday:

ESCR is simply a matter of recycling cells!!

Young does ASCR.

Thanks Leif for allerting us to the mantra ( expressed in an editorial of the Denver Post) of almost 600 organizations who signed the CAMR letter to Congress:

Article Launched: 07/21/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT
    editorial
    Move forward on stem cells

Voters in November should take a hard look at rubber-stamp lawmakers who voted to sustain the president's veto. The House was 51 votes short of an override. the Senate only 4. A friendlier Congress next year could undo this year's veto.
    http://www.denverpost.com/editorials/ci_4075971

Young does ASCR.

We will continue to push in every way possible until we succeed!

July 20, 2006

Dear Friend:

I am writing to you because of your interest in the stem cell debate in
    Congress.

On Wednesday, President Bush issued his first veto, and with that one
    act he dealt a crushing blow to millions of Americans suffering from
    Parkinson's, diabetes, cancer, and other illnesses that could one day
    be
    cured.

For almost a decade now, this debate has been about hope. Hope of a
    scientific breakthrough for millions of patients and their families.
    Yet,
    the President has dashed those hopes.

The President tried to cushion this blow by stating that he supports
    stem
    cell research. But that is patently false. The legislation vetoed by
    the
    President on Wednesday would have vastly enhanced the ability of
    scientists to discover potentially life-saving cures offered by
    embryonic
    stem cell research - all within the parameters of strict ethical
    guidelines.

It was a very sad day indeed.

Patients suffering from these catastrophic illnesses have already
    waited
    too long. And because of the President's veto, they will be forced to
    continue to wait indefinitely.

Earlier this week, I spoke on the Senate Floor to address the need for
    expanded embryonic stem cell research. To read that speech, please
    click here:
    http://feinstein.senate.gov/06speeches/stemcell-oped071906.htm

I also wrote an op-ed that appeared in the San Jose Mercury News
    yesterday. To read that op-ed, please click here:
    http://feinstein.senate.gov/06speeches/stemcell-oped071906.htm

The bottom line is that the need for stem cell research will not go
    away.
    We will continue to fight the fight. We will continue to push in every
    way possible until we succeed.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Young does ASCR.

Another Funny and sad one

Carbar, here is another funny one:
    Can I call Child Protective Services on my Local IVF Clinic??

Just wondering... if embryos are people, then keeping them in frozen tubes is major abuse, right?

Free the Stem Cells! Defrost them and let them run free!!

Where the heck is the ACLU when you need them?

http://boards.live.com/MSNBCboards/t...ThreadID=39566

Quote Originally Posted by Faye

Unfortunately, the Moderator Mantra of "CRPA exclusively" is loud and clear again.
    Can you source this, or did you make it up?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Can you source this, or did you make it up?
    I just did two searches on the FL&A forum. There are 106 threads in this forum mentioning the CRPA, including this one.

In contrast, more than 500 threads have been started talking about expanding embryonic stem cell research through a variety of mechanisms.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I just did two searches on the FL&A forum. There are 106 threads in this forum mentioning the CRPA, including this one.

In contrast, more than 500 threads have been started talking about expanding embryonic stem cell research through a variety of mechanisms.
    Thank you Leif, Cherrylips, Faye and others for staying on top of the ESCR issue!!

Most CRPA threads were the creation of moderators, and most recently CareCure has been inundated by CRPA talk versus little by moderators on ESCR. I seem to remember Faye asking Dr. Young if there was a CareCure bias against ESCR at some point.